Clear All

Published research article Intrathecal Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy in MS

Here is the link

http://archneurosci.com/23640.pdf

Arch Neurosci. 2013 November; 1(2): 71-5. DOI: 10.5812/archneurosci.13687
    Published online 2013 October 23. Research Article
    Intrathecal Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy in Multiple Sclerosis: A
    Follow-Up Study for Five Years After Injection

Received: July 19, 2013; Revised: September 27, 2013; Accepted: September 28, 2013

Background: Mesenchymal stem cell therapy has been used in multiple sclerosis (MS) in order to modulate the course of the disease in
    previous studies. One of the major concerns in such cases is long term safety or efficacy of this type of therapy.
    Objectives: This study was conducted to report the clinical status of five patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and one
    patient with neuromyelitis optica, five years after an autologous intrathecal mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) injection.
    Patients and Methods: The patients (three male, three female) had a progressive course nonresponsive to the conventional
    immunomodulatory treatments with Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score of 3.5 to 6. They received the MCSs after discontinuing
    other treatments. They were examined annually to assess the disease activity and possible complications.
    Results: Two patients had no change in their EDSS scores. One was diagnosed to have Devic’s disease decreased one score in the EDSS,
    but experienced four relapses during these five years. Three patients had an increase in EDSS scores by 1-2 scores after five years. Two
    experienced relapses after injection. There was no significant adverse reaction, infection, or neoplasm during this period of follow up.
    Conclusions: Intrathecal mesenchymal stem cell therapy for MS is generally safe and did not result in any adverse reaction like malignancy for a relatively long period of time. At least half of the patients had no change in their EDSS and the remaining patients had a delay in disease progress.
    Keywords: Multiple Sclerosis; Stem Cells; Mesenchymal Stem Cell Transplantation; Tissue Therapy

During recent years a few studies have demonstrated safety and partial efficacy of mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in MS. As such studies are few
    (less than 5), the long term safety is the major concern for all investigators. Our pilot safety study on this subject was published in 2007 and this manuscript
    is the five-year follow-up of the original cases. The results of
    our study can assist the investigators in determining the safety issues after stem cell transplantation in MS.
    Copyright © 2013, Tehran University of Medical Sciences;

The full report is an interesting read

Thanks for posting the link. Like a lot of other people, I was hoping for better results.

With all the hopeful talk about stem cell therapy being as close a thing to a "cure" as there currently is, this 5 year follow up of mesenchymal stem cell therapy doesn't indicate anything close to that.

The summary paragraph of the actual article says:

Intrathecal MSC therapy can be considered as a safe and partially effective treatment in patients with secondary progressive MS. However, future controlled studies with larger sample sizes and long-term follow up with both clinical and MRI features of the patients are needed to answer lists of questions about the efficacy of this type of cell therapy.

Comment

I agree with MSer 102. My thoughts turn to the trial that is going on at the Tisch center in New York. It has only about 20 participants getting the stem cells. It seems that these 2 studies are looking at the same or similar treatments .

Comment

Better results would always be more promising. This study was done 5 years ago and I'm sure that the researchers have continued to refine this procedure. All these patients were secondary progressive and the study said

The EDSS scores decreased in 1 patient, increased in 3, stabilized in 2 after the first one year. After five years the scores were decreased in 2, unchanged in 1, and increased in the others. It is interesting to mention that the EDSS score of one patient, who went through the iatrogenic
        meningitis, had a decline after one year (5 to 2.5) and after five years without any treatment had an EDSS score of 5.

I would say that these results are promising considering if you are secondary progressive or progressive you are told there are no DMDs that have been proven to be effective.

The Cleveland Clinic and Tisch Centre are currently involved in the same type of stem cell treatment and we will have to wait to see what success they have.

The last report from the Cleveland Clinic said
        "In May, the research group at CWRU, headed up by neurosciences professor Robert Miller, discovered exactly what it is in the stem-cell soup that has a healing effect: a large molecule called hepatocyte growth factor, or HGF. The team published their results in Nature Neuroscience."

"It's a little early to be saying it, but things have looked encouraging."
        And there have been no safety concerns and almost no side effects. There has also been no activation -- an aggravation or return of symptoms -- of this relapsing disease in the patients involved, which has happened unexpectedly with other types of MS treatments.
        (the whole article can been viewed under the post Preliminary Report from Cleveland Clinic)

They didn't know about the HGF 5 years ago in the Tehran study, this shows the progress they are making.

I am so hopeful about the ongoing stem cell trials that are being done. Let's hope they can figure out why some people don't respond as well as others and come up with a treatment for every form of MS.

Comment

Originally posted by AMJ View Post
          Let's hope they can figure out why some people don't respond as well as others and come up with a treatment for every form of MS.
          I second that!

Comment

Ditto to that sentiment. I've followed the developments in the stem cell therapies for several years and I am a strong believer in the use of stem cell therapy to be the 'cure'.

Comment

I think it's important to note that the patients treated in this trial were all progressive ms'ers. I know for fact that there is a trial going on in copenhagen (and 15 other ms clinics around the world) doing a double blind trial of Mesenchymal stem cell treatment, for which they have pretty high hopes (Basically, in the few mino trials there have been, the results have been good for RRMS, and when treating mice induced with an ms-like illness, they also improved vastly.) There are some 150 people in the trial, and they expect to have results to show in 2015.

Comment

Working...
              X