Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first injection of Avonex last night

It wasn't bad at all, didn't even hurt

If I had known it would be like this - I probably would not have held off on treatment for oh, half a decade I work with needles all the time as a vet assistant, just phobic about poking myself but it really was no worse than being bitten by a mosquito.

Had a mild fever last night (expected) but that was partly because I didn't premedicate with ibuprofen since I wanted to see what was going to happen.
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
    I didn't premedicate with ibuprofen since I wanted to see what was going to happen.
    That was pretty brave ... good to hear you did well. And the side effects typically lessen over time, especially after the first few shots.

You compare it to a mosquito bite ... I think about how every now and then my cat scratches me hard enough to draw blood. That hurts, although the moment is fleeting, and I’m fine a few seconds later. And then I think, compared to that, a weekly shot is usually less painful and usually less blood, even if it is going much deeper!

Comment

Congrats. my 1st month was pretty rough has got easier with time I still don't give myself the shot, but I can give myself my b12 injection, its just the size of the avonex needle that scares me.
      Anita

Comment

Good Job Nano! I just started Avonex and I drink 100 ounces of water and always premedicate. I typically have no side effects. I think we are lucky cause I have read here that a lot of people feel awful. Just wanted to say congrats!
        ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
        Dx the first time: 10/25/11
        Avonex 1/12-10/12
        Revaluation of Dx 10/12
        Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

Congratulations on giving yourself your first injection! It's a milestone, hey if you can do THAT you can do anything you know! I am on Avonex now, was very leery of the needle, so chose another dmd first. I am kinda glad I did it that way. I know that I would probably still be scared to give myself an im injection otherwise. lol

Comment

Originally posted by anitalhersman View Post
            Congrats. my 1st month was pretty rough has got easier with time I still don't give myself the shot, but I can give myself my b12 injection, its just the size of the avonex needle that scares me.
            My girlfriend is an avonex user has been for 18 mths and has been using a 25mm needle instead of a 32mm needle from the start and says its alot better. What size needle are you using???

Comment

Hi and thank you everyone

TLC31 - I got bitten by a really mean mosquito last summer - it bit me right in the forehead and I felt it I've also been bitten by cats through work (veterinary assistant) and stung by bees and you're right, a once weekly needle of my own accord is definitely way better than being scratched by a cat!

Dreamsrfree - I'm on the smaller needle, I think that helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by anitalhersman View Post
                Good for you for giving yourself B12 injections! Still a brave thing!

Comment

Working...
                X