Can't take the pain anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't take the pain anymore

My left hand has been extremely painful since my flare up in April. It does not ever go away. 24/7 it hurts like hell. I wear a glove on my hand all day just to help with the extreme heightened sensitivity of the skin on that hand so I can work. I type on a computer all day and it's very painful even with the glove on.

So I tried Gabapentin. Doesn't work. I have been on Cymbalta for 2 weeks at 30mg. Doesn't work. I called the neuro today and have to call back tomorrow to see what he wants to do. Probably try going to 60mg Cymbalta. I'm just so frustrated and fearful that NOTHING is going to work.

I'm just wondering what you all take for pain like this?? He wanted me to try Lyrica but Anthem would not pay for it because they said they only allow it for Fibromyalgia or Diabetic Neuropathy. Nice how a stupid insurance company can tell a board certified Neurologist that what he's recommending isn't good enough for MS. It really makes me angry!!

Anyway, please tell me what works for you.

I had a flare about a year ago that caused my whole right leg from hip to foot to ache horribly all day. I started on percocet 5/325 and tizanidine 2mg up to 4 times per day. Now I am on MS contin 15 mg twice a day. It is a long term pain med that stays in system continuously. It works better than anything else I have tried. Hope you find some relief.
    LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

I'm so sorry you're having all that pain I don't know how you even work.
      I take a combo of Gabapinton & Neurontin 100mg.of each 3x a day.
      I pray you get some releif.
      Nona Judy

Comment

My DIL has nerve pain from a car accident and recently went to a pain clinic. They put her on a pain patch. The one that begins with a F. She told me she feels like she did before the wreck! Her pelvis was broke in 11 places I think and had to be reconstructed, etc.
        Don't know if it's an option but it never hurts to ask. She had tried neurontin plus Vicodin for pain.

Comment

I just spoke to the nurse at my neurologist's office. He wants me to increase the Cymbalta to 60mg per day as well as 200mg Gabapentin 3x day. Hopefully this will work!

Comment

If you want to, check into getting therapy from a hand therapist. I did for several years. Got what seemed to be a minor cut on my left little finger, only worthy of a couple of stitches. It ended up being a long horrid journey. Had surgery within 3 hours, they had to open my hand to repair the severed flexor and extensor tendons. Then in 10 days, I developed RSD. Talk about unrelenting pain. OMG just thinking of those days again I cringe. (21 stellate ganglion blocks, 9 surgeries, etc etc) shudder....

Anyhow, the hand therapist (Laura) did many things to help. One of them was slow gentle massage, also using a parraffin dip (oh, I loved that one so much I bought my own). Then we also started a tens unit (bought one of those also). They all helped me to live through that 2+ years of Hell.

Comment

Working...
            X