Copaxone and nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone and nausea

Hello. I've been taking Copaxone for almost 2 years now (diagnosed 1-10 RRMS--very mild symptoms) with only injection site reactions. However, recently I've noticed nausea at night after I take my shot. Sometimes it's more severe than other times. Is it possible to suddenly develop the nausea after so long?

Thanks for your input.

I had (have) nausea with copaxone. It used to happen all the time but now not as much. I even complained to the doctor about it (note: I still take it daily& experience the common injection site reactions--the nausea was never bad enough where I wanted to stop taking it & happens once in a while now) I hope this is jut a temporary problem for you.

Comment

I don't visit this site too much and haven't posted for awhile, but I logged in today to find advice about nausea. I also take Copaxone (since November 2010). I don't get nauseous every time but when I do it is pretty miserable.

I am not sure it is the Copaxone because I take several other meds, I do not that I would like to figure out what is causing it. I take each of my meds at the same time in the same order every day.

Laying down is the one thing that seems to help me. I hope someone else has some ideas or tips for overcoming nausea.

Comment

Hmmm. I definitely had the nausea, but it happened less and less over time, and was always about 3 hours after my shot, so I'm probably not much help. If it can cause nausea, however, I see no reason why it couldn't start doing so later rather than sooner. (This is just speculation, of course.)

Here's another thread on the topic, in case it offers some insight. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107045

Comment

Alicious--Thanks for the info. I checked out the thread you suggested and as I was reading I realized that the nausea I am now experiencing began after I started a new box of Copaxone. (nausea started about 20 min. after injection.) I am now wondering if that batch has something to do with it all. I have been on the meds for almost 2 years and have never had this problem before. Even when I first started it, I felt great. Only minor site issues. Now it's like I've suddenly come down with the flu. I think I should call Shared Solutions or my mail order pharmacy with questions.

I did find that thread interesting on so many levels. As I am menopausal, I was wondering if that could also be a factor.

On another thread I found, wouldn't it be nice to shoot up every other day?

Have a great day

Comment

That is really interesting about the new box--that definitely warrants a call to both Shared Solutions and your pharmacy, I think. Maybe a call to your regular doc as ell to rule out any other possible causes?

I hope you can figure it out and get rid if the nausea. And every other day? That would be HEAVEN.

Comment

Laying down makes me feel better too!!!!
              I wonder if it has something to do with blood pressure or whatever else would improve while laying down.....

Going to check out the "new box" thread. thanks all

Comment

I called Shared Solutions and got the usual clinical trials things. BUT THEN the nurse asked for the lot number on my refill box and said she would check with their technical dept. just in case there is something wrong with it. Also suggested I call my doctor to see what he wants me to do. I called the doctor and I am to stop taking the Copaxone for 2-3 days to see if the nausea subsides. The nurse told me it could be this batch since I haven't had this problem until now but if there isn't any real difference then I need to check with my pcp to see if I am having stomach issues not related to the meds.

Also I am having my MRI today (weather permitting--snow is falling) and my doctor will review on Monday to see if there are increased lesions. Apparently you can get lesions in an area of the brain that will cause nausea. Didn't want to hear that.
                Didn't take my shot last night and seemed better, after wave after wave of being on the edge of getting sick all day long.

Comment

I'm glad everyone is taking it seriously. Hopefully you can get this figured out, Please let us know how no meds goes and what the MRI says!

Comment

Well, I thought I had a handle on what was happening with the nausea but tonight it's back at it's worst. And it occurred right after I injected.

My doctor told me to stop using the meds for a few days to see what happened. At the same time, I went to my pcp which turned out I had a sinus infection. So I was put on an antibiotic. During the 4 days I was off Copaxone I did okay but the nausea was still there, which I figured was from the sinus infection. Back on my meds and the nausea was so-so. Not really a bother although from time to time i felt a little flu-y. However, tonight immediately after my injection, it hit me worse than ever. Even with body aches. So, back on the phone tomorrow with Shared Solutions. I really think it has a lot to do with this current refill. Could it be stronger than normal?? Would explain a lot.

BTW, the Shared Solutions people were very nice. They called back 2x to see what I had done, what my doctor said and how I was doing while saying they were checking to see about an issue with the meds on their end. No results on their end though.

MRI went fine. I think it looks fine.. Dr. office will send me a copy of the report. Trying to get an appt with him is a nightmare. He's booked until August!! I think I should look for a new doctor.

Diagnosed RRMS Jan, 2010 On Copaxone since March 2010.

Comment

I am so glad the MRI looked good! And yeah...August is a bit much. I get that doctors are busy, that that's a bit *too* busy for my tastes.

Can you get a refill soon to see if your box of meds was screwy?

Comment

I'm totally confused. Tonight my meds were fine. No nausea. No nothing. It just ticks me off that I can't depend on my meds all being the same. Screwy is a good word for this batch! I think I'll let Shared Solutions know what a crap shoot this batch is. I have 12 left so it might be too soon to get a refill but I can always ask.

I did get a copy of the MRI report and it says no increase in lesions, which makes me happy. It does mention something about a frontal lobe spot.....I don't know what that means. If I EVER get to see my doctor I'll ask him.

How are you doing on your meds, Alice?

Comment

How bizarre! I definitely have nausea some evenings, but usually have none, but it's subtle. I am so curious about what is happening with yours! And WOO HOO for no new lesions!

My meds are pretty boring; other than the random low grade nausea (OK, not random--always 3-3.5 hours post injection). I am, however, having my first flare since diagnosis a year+ ago, so I'm having a pity party. Considering my first two flares were 6 months apart, though, 14 months is pretty good. I had no new lesions on my last MRI, too; we'll see what the tube has to say after my scan tomorrow!

Comment

This is weird- I woke up at 4:30 AM and ran for the loo b/c I thought I was going to be sick. It passed, I went to school and taught all day but always with the feeling that I might be sick. I thought it was a bug that was going around. Is the NDC number the batch number? Mine is: 6854631730

My lot number (side of box) is X05051

If you posted on this, I´m really curious to know if it´s all the same lot number. I am still feeling like I could get sick and a couple of times today have felt a heat surge.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
                              This is weird- I woke up at 4:30 AM and ran for the loo b/c I thought I was going to be sick. It passed, I went to school and taught all day but always with the feeling that I might be sick. I thought it was a bug that was going around. Is the NDC number the batch number? Mine is: 6854631730

My lot number (side of box) is X05051

If you posted on this, I´m really curious to know if it´s all the same lot number. I am still feeling like I could get sick and a couple of times today have felt a heat surge.
                              The NDC number on my med is the same as yours but the lot number is P53686. I wonder how many others have these numbers? Could there be others with problems like ours? The nausea I'm getting does the same thing. Acts like I'm getting a virus. I noticed it happened on Tues but then Wed and Thurs nothing. Could there be random syringes with problems rather than the whole batch?? I'm going to try and find out.

BTW, you mention a heat surge. I'm having those too but thought they were just hot flashes, which I haven't had for a while but figured they came back.

Comment

Working...
                              X