Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experiences with Nortriptyline?

Hi all,

I am having a hard time with the side effects of nortriptyline---dizzy, upset stomach, freaky dreams, more clumsy than usual. Does anyone have experience with this drug?

I was on a combo of Cymbalta and Lamictal for the last 5 years or so. I am transitioning from Cymbalta (which I cannot get due to cost) to nortriptyline. (Because I'm uninsured, I go to a county facility for my treatment but I pay for my own meds.)

I hope that made sense...

Originally posted by Nettles View Post
    I am transitioning from Cymbalta (which I cannot get due to cost) to nortriptyline. (Because I'm uninsured, I go to a county facility for my treatment but I pay for my own meds.)
    Hi Nettles:
    You didn't say... have you checked with the manufacturer of Cymbalta (Lilly) to see if you qualify for one of their patient assistance programs? http://www.lillytruassist.com/pages/...ePrograms.aspx

Comment

Yes, I applied for assistance and they turned me down.

Comment

Norityptine [sp] has so many wierd side effects I hope you can get help from the pharmaceutical company. I took it for awhile and some of the symptoms did not go away after I stopped.

Strangely, the side effects are similar to MS. Blurred vision, balance problems, tremors, constipation, hypoglycemia and more. Nasty stuff.

Comment

Exactly! It's as if someone gave my MS a super boost...as if it needed it. Cymbalta doesn't go out of patent for another 2 years, so I have to find a cheap alternative. I hope the shrink has a better plan of action than this one.

Comment

First off, my DH was on Cymbalta and when he quit, he had bad withdrawal, such as nausea and headaches. If you didn't taper down off the Cymbalta, you might be having withdrawal.

I'm taking 75 mg of Nortriptyline and so far as I can tell, it does nothing at all. Is 75 mg a small dose? Maybe that's why I'm not having these side effects. OK, googled it and 75 mg is a middling dose. So. I take it at night but it does not make me sleepy. I may be more clumsy than usual but I am generally clumsy anyway. No upset stomach or strange dreams or unusual dizziness. (I have dizziness anyway.)

I take Lyrica for pain from MS hug. Last neuro visit, told her the pain was still pretty bad although somewhat improved. She considered increasing the Lyrica but in the end she increased my nortriptyline from 50 mg to 75 mg. That has not changed the pain.

I'm also taking 100 mg Zoloft. Since I started with the Zoloft/Nortriptyline combo, my depression has been much better.

So there's some information for you! Another person's experiences.
            Proud Mom of three kids!
            dx'd 1996

Comment

One idea to consider is Amitriptylene. My neuro believes that it works better for MS (pain) than the other tricyclics. For many years before I knew I had MS, I took Imipramine. Both are inexpensive. I combined my Ami with Gabapentin and that has worked well for me.

These drugs are so hard, because each person has such different experiences. Good luck on finding the right (and cost effective) solution for you!

Comment

I have to amend my statement earlier; nortriptyline *does* make me sleepy.
                Proud Mom of three kids!
                dx'd 1996

Comment

I took Nortriptyline for several months and it had no apparent affects whatsoever. Goes to show that medicine reacts so differently from person to person.

Comment

I'm on a low dose of Nor. to manage my migraines. Thank god for that drug, that's all I gotta say. And it knocks me out. So it helps me get a few hours of sleep at least.

I honestly don't know what I would do without that drug, and I hope to not find out. When I've gone a day or two without it (because I had a herpderp moment and ran out on a weekend), I've had some nasty migraines pop up.

Maybe at the end of this year, once I've settled into medical routines and I'm more comfortable with my MS I'll wean myself off it, see if I'm "migraine free".

Comment

I'm so glad this drug works for some

...but it definitely doesn't work for me! In addition to the initial symptoms, I have now proceeded to have a full-blown depressive meltdown. I wake up crying and fall asleep doing the same. I have the most amazing feelings of rage...to the point where I am *praying* someone will pick a fight so I can rip their face off!

I have my appointment Tuesday with the shrink. If he doesn't listen to me and find a better alternative, I'm thinking that weaning off ALL meds is better than this.

The last month has been hell and I can't take it anymore. Seriously.

Comment

Good News!!!

My doc put me on generic Celexa and I'm feeling sane again.

Thanks to all who responded...you all help me so much when the going gets rough.

Comment

I was on nortriptiline and it did nothing. New neuro put me on amitriptiline and it works great. One thing for the uninsured, like me, if you go to walmart they have a huge list of meds for 4.00. Amitriptiline is on that list. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X