Avonex and Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex and Depression

Hi everyone. My first post here and hoping to find support, give support and learn. Copaxone caused a high fever and difficulty breathing so can't do that one. I have gastritis and deuodentis and the Tecfidera, even at 125 mgs. every other day caused severe abdominal pain.
    I've begun to suffer with depression and tons of anxiety and have read Avonex lists these as frequent side effects. I know we are all unique but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they too have dealt with the depression/anxiety (I know its from the impact of my MS) before taking Avonex and if it worsened the depression? So scary not finding a med to help.

Thanks so much, in advance,
    Laurie

I was on wellbutrin for general mood disorders prior to going on Avonex, and did not have a worsening of my anxiety. Well, I still tend to be anxious, but definitely not depressed. You will probably find that some tolerate Avonex, others do not. How it affects you will be specific to you. The interferons have a good track record and so I think they are worth a try.

I admit I had a hard time in the beginning, but have been on Avonex ten years. Several other posters here have been on it longer. Best of luck with your decision!

Comment

I just plan for the world to look terrible on shot day and don't listen to myself. I just say "if it's still true tomorrow, I'll deal with it". It's usually not. This works for my anxious moments as well.

I would give it a try and work on your anxiety. And BTW, your anxiety is the one telling you that it might go all wrong with Avonex. Try it, see if you don't fail and try something else if necessary. For the first months, I lost 3 days and was pretty glum, but it's hard to tell when you're new. So plan to feel a little down on shot day and certainly be on the lookout for your overall mood, but I would try it without too much fear.

Comment

Working...
      X