Botox Injections for Spastiscity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox Injections for Spastiscity

I am having a big problem with spastiscity in my legs, making walking very difficult. I've tried Baclofen but that causes severe weakness. I take Zanaflex and Ampyra but the spastiscity is still a problem. Has anyone tried Botox injections for spastiscity in the legs?

Welcome to MSWorld, suzidonovan!

I've moved your thread to the Medications & Treatments forum, where there are several other threads pertaining to Botox. You can use the "Search This Forum" feature to find the threads.

Hopefully you will also get some new answers on your thread as well.

Comment

I had botox injections in my calves about a month ago. They feel less stiff, but it has not improved my walking at all. I need to schedule a f/u appointment tomorrow and do not know if the doctor will recommend me getting it again. I left a message that I would like to try the baclofen pump. I hear a lot of good things about the pump, but it sure does scare me. Hope this helps. I'll post again when I know more.

Comment

Sorry to hear that the Botox did not help a lot. Let me know what your doctor has to say. I am trying to find something to keep me walking and out of a wheelchair.

Comment

botox

I did the injections for a couple years. They worked on and off.

At first when I would get them it would ramp up my spasticity more because of the aggitation of the nerves. Then it would lessen for a while and be alright. Then as the injections wore off my spasticity would increase until it was time for the next round of injections.

My insurance only approved them for once every 90 days.

But it was one of the treatments I needed to try before I could do the trial for the baclofen pump.

I have had my pump for almost three years and it has been super.

Good Luck

Comment

I saw the doctor again and she thinks the Botox is working. She had me walk with a walker instead of a cane, but I think I was walking better because a walker is easier. Before the doctor came in the nurse told me to keep getting the Botox because it takes a while to kick in.

I then asked the doctor about a Baclofen pump and she said the Botox was working and I didn't need it. I am going to get the Botox again next month, and in the meantime, I am going to go to another doctor for another opinion on the pump. Glad your pump is working well. I'll post back when there's news. I am also trying to stay mobile.

Comment

I didn't have botox in my legs I went straight to a pump. In my case it was like a miracle. I was ambulatory, but looking at a wheelchair because my legs were so spastic. Also had awful pain in them all then time. That went away with the pump.

there is a recent article stating docs may be waiting too long to use the pump...if someone is still ambulatory, it does help to keep them ambulatory...that was my case. Not that it didn't take months of PT and lots of muscle aches getting used ton using muscles I hadn't used.

But I do know that botox, although temporary, is a recognized therapy, I'm getting ready to get botox shots in my tongue due to spasm.

Maybe you should seek a second opinion on the pump. Not that it is without problems, I had a catheter dislodge within 6 months of my first surgery and had to get the whole surgery again. So you have to go in with your eyes open that there can be problems, but for me it's kept me on my feet.

Comment

BTW, here's the link to that article on using Baclofen pumps sooner rather than later. It's called Baclofen pump: Too little, too late.

http://msj.sagepub.com/content/early...510395056.long

Comment

Nappy: Thank you for your reply and advice. I can see that a pump is the way to go. Today I was walking worse than ever.

RDMC: I just printed out the article and will read it now.

I can't thank you both enough. Monday morning I'm calling another doctor I know of to make an appointment. Glad things have worked out well for both of you! I will keep you posted.
                  Nora

Comment

Working...
                  X