jaw pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaw pain

Hi I have had MS for some time now and I have been getting jaw pain for the last 4 months , It's called Trigeminal neuralgia and I usually lasts for about half hour . I've had the dental check out and every thing is OK. I take Gabapentin and I brush with sensitive tooth paste. Today I had to use a ice pack on my face cause the pain was so intense!!! It seemed to help, I also tried it on the side of my neck to cool my brain , also seemed to help. Does any one have any good ideas on remedies to allive the pain..

I have had bilateral TN for 9 years. I have tried various methods. Sometimes baclofen helps as it is really a parasympathetic pain happening. Another drug that helped me the most was oxcarbazapine (Trileptal).

As far as home remedies, there are not many. Another thing my neurologist does for me is to give me steroid shots in my trigger points, mostly the occipital nerve roots in the back of the head. That deadens the pain for about a month.

I still get breakthrough pain, I am sorry to say. I have tried ice like you say, I have tried heat, and that helps for a time too.

Good luck, TN is a bear to deal with!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

thanks

Thanks 22cyclist I too am on baclofen I take 3 in the evening instead of all day cause I get allot of muscle spasms in the evening when I try to relax. I may try the other drugs you mentioned. How long does your pain last? Just asking to see if I am going to get worse. Limppy

Comment

Off and on sometimes all day. On bad days it is painful all day long. I have had to get IVSM for it before when it is horrible for days on end. That I have to say breaks the cycle.

Good luck!

Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X