Location of Lesions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location of Lesions

Just learned that I have several new lesions in brain, Cervical and Thoracic spine. I think there is a chart somewhere here on MS World that lists symptoms with location of lesions. I did a search but apparently didn't use the correct search words. Can anyone help?

its2much: I am so sorry you have so many new lesions! I did a search too and guess I didn't guess the right words either. Have you talked to your neurologist about your specific lesions? Did you have to switch medications? (I hope so). Anyway, hopefully someone can help, just wanted to tell you how sorry I was that you have so many new lesions. Not good.
    Let us know what they do for you in light of this new information.

Hang in there!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I've never seen a chart quite like you describe, but figuring out what might be expected from spinal lesions shouldn't take you too long with Dr. Google (try "spinal cord images").

The vertical location tells you what locations can be affected (e.g., below L2 can affect any part of the legs, which are connected from about L2 on down), but they don't tell you whether the effect is sensory or motor. If you dig really deep on Google you can learn which horizontal locations contain the different types of nerves, too.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I just googled "brain anatomy" and a lot of anatomic information sites came up. I thought the pictures and the explanations at the Mayfield Clinic made sense and were easy to understand.

Similar results with "spinal cord anatomy."

As always, be careful with "Dr. Google," and be sure to talk with your own doctor about your particular MRI results and treatment.

Comment

With lesions in the brain there isn't always a direct correlation between symptoms and the location of lesions. It has to do with all of the interconnections the brain has. The anatomy charts tell what parts of the brain and spinal cord control what functions but MS doesn't always read those charts so your symptoms might not match up perfectly with where your lesions are. That's just the way MS works so don't be too concerned if it doesn't always make sense.

Comment

Its2much, this may be what your talking about.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multipl...page_id=896252

Good luck.

Comment

Pathways in the brain

My Neuro explained it this way:

He can tell me where my lesions r located. I can google what functions these parts of the brain normally control; however, the brain is such a high-functioning organ that will try its best to send info via other pathways rather than giving up.
              In other words, that chart is probably not going to help as much as you hope.

All of my visible lesions are in my brain so I understand your frustration.

Good Luck!
              Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
              Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Working...
              X