Spasms - how to manage / alternatives to muscle relaxers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasms - how to manage / alternatives to muscle relaxers

Newly diagnosed with MS last month. Started Rebiff last week. The next day, i started having spasms in my right leg. Day after it was my arm & leg. They didn't last but a few seconds at first & weren't that strong but they are getting stronger (turning my foot & hand inward) & lasting longer. My doctor prescribed muscle relaxers when I called.

I'm seeking an alternative to medication to deal with the spasms, like exercise or home remedy anything besides the muscle relaxer. The medicine is likely to make me sleepy & I have children to care for. Right now my family is coming in from out of town to help me but I'm concerned about the future when everyone goes home (none of my immediate family lives in my state).

Besides, I don't like things that make me groggy or sleepy. I'm hoping to return to work soon & these kinds of meds can affect driving safety, caring for my children (they are 9 & 12) & work performance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I am able to control my spasms by taking magnesium and stretching regularly. You can also put Epsom salts in your bath, this can be helpful.

Hope you are able to find some relief.

Comment

Just make sure you are well hydrated! I also am taking Rebif and have those spams....and sometimes they are painful. Have noticed improved when keep well hydrated...best of luck.

Comment

Stretching might help...yoga is good for that. When mine get bad, i take valium at night. It helps relax the muscles and I can start the day fresh.

Like you, I have a family to care for and also work full time. I have enough fatigue issues without taking something that makes me more sleepy
        Jodi
        "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

accupuncture or massage

I have used accupuncture and/or masage.

I also do the stretching and hydration. They do play a role in helping with spasms. I also take magnesium do not know if it helps my spasms.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I will try the magnesium.

I've found that putting soap under the sheets with me (I'm using Dial) helps with my spasms at night. I'm a side sleeper so I put the bars on the leg that has the spasms & also between my legs where I feel the spasms. I sleep so GOOD during the night & have few if any spasms. If I have them they are so much less intense. Give it a about a week to work. My mom suggested this as she does it when she gets cramps in her legs. Like mom says "It can't hurt to try it" and you don't have to worry about some crazy possible side effect or interaction with your regular treatment.

Comment

WELCOME TO MS WORLD! I use yoga and massage in addition to the baclofen pump I have. I hope you can find something that helps you. Good luck
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I got the pleasure of experiencing spasms last year. First mild then excruciating painfulI ;was unable to keep walking because my entire body froze. Baclofen was the answer. I was pregnant at the time and had a 12 months old to take care of. Baclofen helped me get through then until they disappeared for good and I never had any side effects.

Comment

Working...
                X