Amantadine or coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amantadine or coincidence?

I've been on Amantadine since January, and right when I started taking it, my walking started improving. I have gotten so much better, it's amazing. After I ran out a few days ago though, I opted not to refill yet because I didn't think it was doing anything for me. I've been off it 3 days now and the past two days, I've noticed that my legs are weak. Yesterday they kept giving out on me in Zumba and today I was walking around and just didn't feel very strong. Could this be from the Amantadine or is it a total coincidence that my legs are acting up now? I have had some other issues pop up recently in the past few weeks, so this isn't my first symptom coming back.

I actually planned to get my last refill today just to see if it helped me, but when I went to Walmart to pick it up, they tried charging me more than double what I've been paying for it! They say it's my insurance, yet my insurance has not changed since May when I last refilled it. I swear, it's always something. My mom offered to pay for it, but I'm very stubborn and I refuse to let them charge me an increased rate all of a sudden when nothing about my insurance has changed.

This is so frustrating. Just when I thought I was doing really well, I feel like everything is falling apart again. Today is one of those days I wish I could forget about MS, but that isn't about to happen.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Hi lstrl,

I am going to say it is acoincidence

Amantadine is an anti-viral medication which is used, in MS, to try and treat fatigue.

Since it is an anti-viral it is possible that when you ran out you may have gotten a "bug" of some sort which can cause a Pseudo-Exacerbation.

When I discontinued using Amantadine after 6 months I had my first cold. So, the medication did what it was intended for --- it kept me from getting sick
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
    X