Baclofen pump catheter broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen pump catheter broken

I just had a baclofen pump implanted last week for the second time in a year since the first one's catheter broke. I had been telling doctors for a while it wasn't working until they finally did an xray to reveal the broken catheter. My question: is there a way to prevent this from happening again? I am ambulatory with a cane due to spasticity that make my legs incredibly stiff. I obviously cannot do crazy twisting exercises anyway so I am at a loss as to how it broke in the first place. Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone had success with the pump? I am now very anxious about this happening again. My surgeries were not the easy, inpatient procedure I was told they would be either!

I can empathize...six months after I got my pump implanted, I had a repeat surgery. My catheter had dislodged from my spine and migrated to my abdomen, and since the pump itself was still working, it continued to pump a pool of the baclofen into my belly. I figured it out because I woke up one morning looking pregnant on one side of my belly.

They repeated the surgery...and I had the back and belly incision to deal with again.

Where is your catheter coming loose from...your spine! Or at the pump. since mine was dislodged at the spine, the neurosurgeon did some major securing of the catheter, 2nd surgery.

They could give no explanation why it happened...my neurosurgeon said he'd never had it happen like that before, and I, like you, don't lead an active life. 2nd surgery I was in the hospital almost 10 days...4 before the surgery, and 6 after because I got an infection...so again, I understand where you're coming from.

However, I have a hard time imagining my life without the pump...it's been so helpful for me.For expertise on what may be the problem, I suggest you join the yahoo group called Pumpsters...and ask your question there. Lots of knowledgable folks who have a lot of experience with pump surgeries. They may be able to point you to reasons, or at least questions to ask your neurosurgeon about reasons

One of the main women in the group said they see many more catheter failures these days than they used to...but that was anecdotal from what they see on the board.

Ps...typed on my iPad, so excuse any errors.

Comment

Hi Steph

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the Baclofen Pump. I have had a pump for 12 years...not the same pump. I am on my 3rd pump & things are going well.

As for the catheter, I still have the same catheter from 1999. I have had some falls on my back with the best one happening when I did an early dismount from a horse while he was trotting. I landed on my back & it did nothing to the catheter.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Hi stephc10,

Sorry to hear what you have been going through . I have had my pump for just over a year and have been doing well with it. I am not ambulatory and move/transfer in odd ways. I hope you find some answers.

Comment

Hi steph, i also haven't had a problem with my pump. I've had numerous spills too. I love the flexability (pun intended)it has given me.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks everyone! My catheter broke where it enters the spine. They also said "never seen it happen etc." but I am skeptical. I am so hopeful for this to work but worried about moving now! They did enter the spine a different way (not straight on this time) to try to reduce risk of it happening again but just said "if it happens again I may want to reconsider the pump" I really don't have a lot of other options! All I can do is pray and hope!

Comment

Working...
            X