IV Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IV Steroids

Got official diagnosis today and am being admitted into the hospital for IV steroids and then taper before starting rebif. Any info regarding IV steroids from those with experience would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Lisa

well, although i have never been in the hospital to receive steroids, i have had more than my fair share of steroids, along with just about everyone on here.

a metallic taste in ur mouth will go along with it. tricks to lessen it for me are drinking ginger ale or fruit punch, especially punch. but other people have their own favorite trick.

um... i guess thats all i have for tips.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Hi. The IV Steroids I took was Solu-Medrol and I only ever had it on an out-patient basis. The one think I would suggest is have some of your favorite hard candy on hand, and use them as they start the meds, because they can give you a horrible metallic taste. Having something to counter-act it keeps it at bay. For me, I always got such a burst of energy from them, I usually got my spring AND fall cleaning done the days I took it. So, unless your dr wants you to have a sleep-aid (mine did), have something you like doing, read, needle-point, something to keep you busy too. And, they will also probably tell you there is a crash some days after. Some take oral steroids to prevent this, so again, up to your doctor. The crash is basically sleeping for a day. Good luck to you, hope all goes well.

Comment

traceyco, I moved your post to a thread of its own on the Occupational Therapy forum for you.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...51#post1349651

Comment

I did my first batch of IV steroids in the hospital, the other 2 I've done at home.

Being in the hospital for steroids is boring. Like everyone has said, they taste terrible. Luckily, I love ice cream so I just asked the nurse to get me ice cream for the start of each treatment.

They make you hungry and thirsty. I drink water all the time and subsequently pee all the time. It makes sleeping hard when you wake up 3 times a night.

My neuro did offer me ambien if I needed it.

Steroids make lots of people jittery and hard to sleep in general. When I'm doing them at home I'll end up watching TV til 2am.

Take lots of stuff ot entertain you. The steroid IV really doesn't take long and you'll just be hanging out. Read, I borrowed a Nintendo DS and played tetris, did crosswords and watched a lot of food network.

They also make me cranky but so does having an MS flare that makes me need 'roids My patience definitely decreases and I'm quicker to get upset. But, just know it'll happen so you can stop and say to yourself "its just the steroids"

Find some friends and family to make jokes about your "roid rage" or tell you that you're turning into the Incredible Hulk. Humor goes a long way.

Honestly, I don't like the way I feel on steroids but they've helped me so much that I just tell myself that it'll be ok. I feel "weird" on them, I can tell I'm on some sort of drug but if you're hanging out at the hospital you should have plenty of time to just chill and get through the icky side effects. I've had more trouble with IV at home where I'm still trying to go to work and then IV at night!

Good luck! Don't stress. The steroids can really help. Do what I do and use it as an excuse to eat lots of ice cream or whatever else will distract you and make you happy!!
          Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

I do them every 6 weeks at home, my first round I went to an infusion center. I've never done a taper. They do make my sugar levels increase quite a bit, so if you have any problems there try to get some sugerless candy for the taste. I also take Ambien to help with sleep and Xanax to help keep me mellow. The Ambien makes me do things in my sleep, some are funny and than some are not. I've sent some really mean things to people I care deeply about but every reacts differently. Make sure to Hydrate it will help, and be ready to be hungry, I always get extra things to be able to eat as I never seem to be able to feel full. Good luck

Comment

Horrible metalic taste. Suck on favorite candy like peppermint or something. Most folks get a burst of energy, it made me extremely sleepy. Mood swings beware... crabby doesnt even come near to describing how I got. Steroids can make you gain water weight, so drink LOTS of water to help shed the extra water. Infusion only takes an hour, so definately bring something to occupy your time. Remember, any irrational thinking or acting, its the roids, and this too shall pass. Good luck to you

Comment

IV Steroids

I've done them so many times. The last relapse I had (last week), I had IV steroids. Don't like the tast in my mouth during, but it is what it is. That's the only thing I don't like about it.

Comment

o yeah and when i was 13-18 ish (dxd at 13) i would get very hungry. a hunger that only refined carbs could take care of. i would demand spaghetti, and eat a large amount. more that my size would suggest i could eat.

for me, i dont really get a burst on energy. i just cant sleep that night. again, it was worse when i was 13-18. still have it but not nearly as bad now that im 21
                  Learn from yesterday
                  Live for today
                  Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I wish I could respond to you all by name but my brain seems to be crashed. Started the IV's this morning, Have completed 2 and have 10 more to go. Don't really feel anything just tired but can't sleep, but that might also be from having only 3 hours of sleep last night. I expected to feel very up and full of energy but so far i am so mellow and blah ........ way hoping not to go toward the emotional end. Anyway again thanks all i used all the tricks you gave me and am doing well.

Lisa

Comment

Yep, the Metallica taste is horrible but I found that mk helped. I'm sure ice cream would work too!

Do not make any important decisions while you are taking this medication at this dose! You will not really be your self and any decisions you make you may regret.

I can't sleep, am a complete *****, swell up and even had blood pooling in my legs (black streaks in my lower legs and feet). All of these syptoms WILL go away and hopefully your symptoms will also disappear. It is typically worth it for major problems but I avoid them for purely sensory flares.

Good luck!

Comment

Tricks

Def need ambien. Peppermint gum during full dose and about an hour after helps. I tried all other tricks and peppermint gum was best. Xanax worked well for my temper or Ativan and also got really bad indigestion so an antacid might be necessary. That's all I remember now. Oh ya. If you do get a burst of energy, don't overdo it like I did or you will regret it later. I had no advice my first time and just winged it. Best of luck!
                        RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

steroids

Everyone has given great tips on what happens with the steroid infusions.I wish someone would of told me to take
                          antiacids before them.That was the worst part.

I even had to stop halfwat through,because I felt like I was
                          having a heart attack.

Comment

They should have started you off on, oh, I forget the name, but it is an antacid. Pepsid?? Is that it? They insert the IV line, give you the Pepsid or whatever in the IV line, then do the Solumedrol. Shame on them for ignoring the antacid!

Comment

Antacid

They didn't do that for me nor give me my regularly prescribed antacid on my first steroid treatment in the hospital. Now I do them at my dr office and I take my prescription, plus he gives me extra OTC antacids to help.
                              RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Working...
                              X