Avonex Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex Question

Does Avonex have to be done in the side of the thigh? Or can I just do all of my injections in the front of my thighs each time? It's really hard for me to do it in the side.
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

No

You can just rotate on the tops. I started doing that after awhile because the sides hurt a lot more.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
      You can just rotate on the tops. I started doing that after awhile because the sides hurt a lot more.
      techie
      Ok, Thanks. It was really awkward/uncomfortable/hard to do it in the side when I did it for the first time there on Friday. Actually I couldn't do it in the end and had someone else do it for me, which wasn't any fun for either of us.

Comment

When the nurse from MS Alliance came to teach me, he said I could inject on the front of my thighs and just rotate the site. Basically he divided each thigh into 3 quadrants (top, middle, bottom).
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

The top (front) of the thigh is fine, and for me it's easier than the side. Going into the side, I have to twist at the waist a little more, and it's trickier to go in at a 90-degree angle (which I think is why it can be slightly more painful sometimes). That said, I've rotated the two side injection sites and the two top injection sites equally, trying to not be too hard on any one muscle. None of the sites are any fun!

You can also do the arms, and I'm aware of people having self-injected there, but that seems like it would be even trickier than the sides of the thighs. Best to have an assistant take care of you there.

The backside is a couple more available sites, but you absolutely need training from a professional on those if you're going to do them yourself. And I wouldn't be able to twist around to do that. Avonex and the company-sponsored nurses won't provide support or instruction for those sites.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll just keep injecting the tops of my thighs. Seems so much easier for me to handle on my own. (And that's the whole point of injecting at home, right?)

Comment

Working...
            X