botox for bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

botox for bladder?

I'm interested in finding out if any of you have had botox for the dysfunctional bladder that accompanies MS. I have a checkup with my neurologist next week and want to discuss this with her. If you have had this done, could you share your experience with me? Thanks

I posted the same question a couple weeks ago after watching the video on here about it. I did not get any replys. I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow to discuss this and PTNS and will let you know what happens

Comment

botox

so have you found out anything?

Comment

saw urologist 1-26-12. he is going to try an see if insurance will cover it. He feels I'm a candidate and go back in 2 weeks. he did give me samples of a anticholinergic gel to put on once a day to see if that helps.

Comment

When you guys talk to your urologists, would you please ask them if self-catheterization is always required after botox treatment?
          I've problems both with retention and with frequency/incontinence for several years, but am able to keep my residuals low enough that I don't have to catheterize. I would love to stop the frequency, urgency, incontinence and discomfort from bladder spasms that I have, but worry that if I cath, I'll end up with an infection. I've been very fortunate in never having had a bladder infection.

Comment

I had a return appointment with the urologist yesterday. We are waiting for insurance to see if they will approve this treatment. He felt that not everyone will need to cath due to the fact that he only uses the BOTOX on a portion of the bladder . He was less optimistic on the duration of relief from 4-9 months. I will post when and if I hear from insurance

Comment

I believe that when you get Botox you will have to use self-catheterization as your bladder won't give you the full sensation and you might not be able to go on your own. I was self-cathing before the Botox, so this wasn't an issue for me. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Live View Post
                I believe that when you get Botox you will have to use self-catheterization as your bladder won't give you the full sensation and you might not be able to go on your own. I was self-cathing before the Botox, so this wasn't an issue for me. Hope that helps.
                Not necessarily true, at least not in all cases. My friend who gets the treatments does not have to self-cath. In fact, she was self-cathing before she started with Botox injections, and now she doesn't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  Not necessarily true, at least not in all cases. My friend who gets the treatments does not have to self-cath. In fact, she was self-cathing before she started with Botox injections, and now she doesn't need to.
                  Thank you, Sequoia & 04blackcobra. I've been taking Lyrica for bladder spasms. It helps with bladder control, but worsens my balance and energy problems. I was intrigued by the Botox, but didn't want to have to start cathing. I'll talk to my neuro about Botox next time I see him. Thanks again!

Comment

I'm scheduled for the treatment 3-9-12

Comment

supra-pubic cath?

I have a supra-pubic cath, have had it for almost 2 years, I have retention, irritability and spasms.... think I'm going to get in to my Urologist about this...... Anyone else have a SPC????

Comment

Working...
                      X