Am I a wuss? Rebif titration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I a wuss? Rebif titration

I took my first shot of Rebif last night, 8.8mcg. I was hydrated as heck, I predosed with 600 mg of ibuprofen, and woke up feeling just awful. At first I thought it was in my head since I've heard about the aches and was worried I'd get them, but it's afternoon and my back and shoulder still ache terribly and I am exhausted even though I got enough sleep. I took more Ibu, and if it's helping, I can't tell the difference. *waaah*

For those of you who have taken Rebif, do you have any advice? Did you just power through it?

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
    I took my first shot of Rebif last night, 8.8mcg. I was hydrated as heck, I predosed with 600 mg of ibuprofen, and woke up feeling just awful. At first I thought it was in my head since I've heard about the aches and was worried I'd get them, but it's afternoon and my back and shoulder still ache terribly and I am exhausted even though I got enough sleep. I took more Ibu, and if it's helping, I can't tell the difference. *waaah*

For those of you who have taken Rebif, do you have any advice? Did you just power through it?
    No, you're not a wuss. I was in misery from the first day I took Rebif until a few days after the last. It was like having the worst flu I ever had after being run over by a truck. Nothing helped...chills, aches, cramps, general ick and yuck. Like you said, I could have slept all day and still needed more. The quality of sleep had everything to do with it I think. I did sleep, but not well with all the side effects.

I'm sorry that I have no real advice, but I do want to let you know you're not alone. I wasn't on it very long, since the side effects got worse as I upped the dose. I stayed on each dose longer than the typical schedule and finally stopped when I got head to toe hives after taking the first full dose.

Hope it gets better very soon.

Comment

I'm on Rebif and have been able to tolerate it very well. The first couple of injections I did feel kind of yucky, achy, dizzy, etc. But after the first week or so I was fine. Just remember to drink a LOT of water and take the ibuprofen. I forgot a couple of times to take ibuprofen on the 44mcg and boy was that a mistake.

I know some people simply cannot tolerate it no matter what they do. But I would give it a few more tries if I were you, unless you're truly awfully miserable. As you know, there are others you can try.

Comment

You're not a wuss! I took Rebif for almost 2 years (switched to Copax) and never shed those flu-like symptoms.

The med didn't work for me (thankfully) and after switching I realized that the Rebif made me feel worse than my MS did. All the Rebif did for me was make me feel like different levels of garbage, there were no good days unlike now.

Good luck and I hope these nasty side effects disappear for you as they have for many Rebif users.
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I intend to give it at least a few months before deciding anything (unless it is truly unbearable), and am hoping the symptoms will ease over time. I was just shocked that the tiny dose did this much. I guess that's why they titrate, huh? The Rebif nurse is coming over today so I will whine at her and get it out of my system.

I was on Copaxone until recently, and liked it all in all, but a new spinal lesion, ON and then a flare in a couple of months meant I got to switch. Actually, as I remember it, I was nauseated as heck on Copaxone for the first month, and I'll takes aches to that any day.

MrsBones, yikes! That sounds absolutely ghastly.

Comment

Alicious ~ Oh my sorry you feel bad!! Hang in there, I pray it gets better.

Comment

I hope it gets better for you, I did great on starting Rebif. The only side effects I have is a fever the next day which Aleve takes care of and the only other thing and I hate is a runny nose. I hope you do well on Rebif and the side effects go away quickly.

Comment

Thanks, guys. The second shot went about the same as the first with the back pain. When I get up to 44 I'm going to experiment with timing, pain relievers, etc. and in the meantime, just keep on keepin' on.

Comment

I started on Rebif in December and I had some pretty severe flu like symptoms ~ fever over 101 & lots and lots of aches. I can only take tylenol for pain since i'm also a gastric bypass patient and it didn't do too much to relieve my symptoms. With each increase in dose the side effects would be pretty terrible for about a week. I've been on 44 mcg for two months now and as long as I drink about 2 gallons of water I do pretty well - no real fever to speak of and only minor aches and pains. I only have to use tylenol about two days a week now. Best of luck to you!
                  Julie
                  DX 11/9/11
                  Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

I was very blessed that I never had any problums,but I also took a dose of Tylenol & went to sleep after my shot.
                    Also I've been on Rebif for 12yrs. now & nolonger bother w/ Tylenol or taking before sleep,but I did for the 1st. few months.
                    Keep us poated God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I just started my Rebif, also. I took my first 44mcg on Friday, but when I did start the 8.8 mcg i was EXTREMELY sick to the point I ended up in the ER, but I did not pre-medicate or anything of that nature. I take Aleve about a 1/2 hour before I take my shot.. It helps tremendously! The only complaint I've had so far is being overly tired to the point sometimes I don't want to get out of bed. I wish you well and know it does get better.
                      DX:1/6/12 "Bad becomes better when worse happens."

Comment

jmfmwc and owlnona, thank you for chiming in about how it really does get better.

So it actually got better at the higher dose, l0velee? I am glad that you are doing well on it, and that you were able to premedicate after that first dose to stay out of the ER. Man, you must have felt awful if you ended up there!

Comment

Working...
                        X