Avonex shot #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex shot #2

Did my Avonex last night. Was very different from last week. (Last week did it about 5:30 p.m. got hit with uncontrollable full body shakes about midnight, took an hour to get to sleep then woke up about 5:30 a.m. and had a bowels accident, then the flu all day.) Last night I did the injection about 8:15 p.m. and went to bed at 11, then slept hard until my daughter woke me up at about 6:30 a.m. This morning I felt a little fuzzy-minded for a couple hours, but then feel fine. All that's good...but...the actual injection was not fun. It hurt!

I iced it good, but it hurt from the first second I put the needle in and the whole time it was in my thigh. I felt every bit of it going in deeper. I don't know what I did wrong. I premedicated and was hydrated and iced it, and did everything that I was supposed to. My dad thinks that maybe this leg is just more sensitive than the other. And maybe that's true, but this is my bad leg. So shouldn't it be less sensitive? I don't know. No side effects is great, I just wish the shot hadn't hurt so much. But a little pain is tolerable especially since no side effects!
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Originally posted by LostCupcakes View Post
    Did my Avonex last night. Was very different from last week. (Last week did it about 5:30 p.m. got hit with uncontrollable full body shakes about midnight, took an hour to get to sleep then woke up about 5:30 a.m. and had a bowels accident, then the flu all day.) Last night I did the injection about 8:15 p.m. and went to bed at 11, then slept hard until my daughter woke me up at about 6:30 a.m. This morning I felt a little fuzzy-minded for a couple hours, but then feel fine. All that's good...but...the actual injection was not fun. It hurt!

I iced it good, but it hurt from the first second I put the needle in and the whole time it was in my thigh. I felt every bit of it going in deeper. I don't know what I did wrong. I premedicated and was hydrated and iced it, and did everything that I was supposed to. My dad thinks that maybe this leg is just more sensitive than the other. And maybe that's true, but this is my bad leg. So shouldn't it be less sensitive? I don't know. No side effects is great, I just wish the shot hadn't hurt so much. But a little pain is tolerable especially since no side effects!
    Hang in there---My 2nd shot was the worst for me. It took a good month and half for me but all in all my 2nd shot hit me the hardest. I lost sight in my right eye and after 5 IV steroid infusions then 3 more a month later I Then started Avonex my vision is 20/30 and my eye Dr was very happy with the difference from the 1st test with no vision on r side to gaining back to 20/30. I love my Dr. who pushed my insurance to get me on Avonex. Just had blood work done and all was in range. He did suggest anti depressant but rather not take no more than I have too.

Comment

My goodness, I hope your experience improves with this. That whole 'sudden urgency to evacuate bowels' seems to be a possible side effect for a few of these DMD's.
      Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Originally posted by LostCupcakes View Post

My coworker suggested trying an over the counter topical local anesthetic to prevent injection pain - I looked up this one: **URL removed per MSWorld Guidelines. You may put it in your Profile if you wish.** Hope that'll help!
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Both my coworkers suggested the topical anesthetic cream because they advocate bikini waxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
            Both my coworkers suggested the topical anesthetic cream because they advocate bikini waxes.
            You can mention the name of the product, Nanobaby, but not post the URL. People can look it up for themselves.

Comment

Oh sorry Sequoia! I didn't know that. Thanks

Comment

No problem!

Comment

Avonex was my first DMD. To ensure I continued therapy my doc gave me a prescription of EMLA Cream. It is a topical cream, prescription strength. They use it in hospitals for IVs and Infusion Lines. They also use in in pediatric offices for children.

It works well, but you have to make sure you use it correctly. If you don't wait long enough or put it on thick enough, it won't work.

You apply it liberally in a 2" square, it is like lotion don't rub it in, cover it with Saran Wrap and wait for a full 90 Minutes. I always marked with a Sharpie where the cream was at so I would not forget after I wiped it off. After the time is up, wipe off the cream and give yourself the shot.

You will not feel a thing...the EMLA Cream deadens the first few layers of skin. After awhile, I considered it to be more trouble than it was worth but I was by the a "pro" at giving shots by then so it was not painful.

Katie

Comment

A cream of some sort sounds like a wonderful idea. I don't see my neuro again until April and he's impossible to contact (his office "loses" my messages to him) so hopefully things will get better with my shots in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaL77 View Post
                      My goodness, I hope your experience improves with this. That whole 'sudden urgency to evacuate bowels' seems to be a possible side effect for a few of these DMD's.
                      I did not know that! At least this time I didn't have that problem, and hopefully it never happens again. It was a horrible experience.

Comment

You know if the injection needle is hurting, I have taken it out and relocated it in the same cleansed area. May not be the wisest thing to do, but I am not into pain either. I have found that I don't even need to ice as the needles aren't really even felt. Good luck on your next shot!

Comment

I took Avonex years ago, but remember the nurse telling me to try ice, but that there are people who found it less painful without the ice. I did use it, but sometimes the ice itself hurt my leg (maybe to cold) so then I would try it without the next time. Scary to think about doing it without being numb, I know. Maybe check with your Avonex coordinator to see if the ice may have aggravated it.

Comment

Key to minimal pain on injection is to be sure the alcohol is dry, wait several minutes (I probably wait about 5 to be sure, that's how much I hate pain). Second, the muscle must be very relaxed. I jiggle the area and make sure it is loosey-goosey, with no tension at all.

I also use 25 gauge 1" needles. Makes a huge difference. I rarely bruise and rarely have pain.

I agree with above, if I find a spot is hurting more than it should I move to a different spot. Injecting thru a vein hurts and I have alot of little spider veins in my legs.

Most shots are not painful. The good news is when you are done, your done, no burning like you might from some meds.

Comment

Working...
                            X