Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mice are walking & running ... woohoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mice are walking & running ... woohoo!

The document is pretty technical, but they basically gave mice w/ms human stem cells and the mice improved motor skills and were able to move much better than before. Rather than having to engraft stem cells into a patient, which can be challenging from a medical standpoint, we might be able to develop a drug that can be used to deliver the therapy much more easily," noted Thomas Lane.

http://www.cell.com/stem-cell-report...711(14)00112-X

Using a viral model of the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis (MS), we show that intraspinal transplantation of human embryonic stem cell-derived neural precursor cells (hNPCs) results in sustained clinical recovery, although hNPCs were not detectable beyond day 8 posttransplantation. Improved motor skills were associated with a reduction in neuroinflammation, decreased demyelination, and enhanced remyelination.Further investigation of the restorative effects of hNPC transplantation may aid in the development of clinically relevant MS treatments.

We are still years away from this treatment being online, but it is always encouraging when scientists make strides into improving the quality of care (and life) for MS patients.

Thanks for the link. As you noted, those lucky mice.

Latest post on Wheelchair Kamikaze blog has quite a few bits and pieces of new trials, etc.

He termed this the most "asinine research" :
    Is there an increased risk of hip fracture in multiple
    sclerosis?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24600232

They actually spent money to find the answer to the question.

Comment

People with AIDS and cancer pushed for anti-retrovirals and Avastin to get fast tracked. Isn't MS just as bad?

Comment

I'm curious and hopeful for the possibility of 'young' blood transfusions as a breakthrough new MS therapy.

Comment

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to get a blood transfusion today, using young blood only, of course.

I'm thinking what non-fatal, but near fatal 'accident' I could have, that would result in getting a blood transfusion from my young 20yo daughter.

Anyone know if there are research studies or clinical trials investigating young blood transfusion treatment for MS? Has this been researched already?

Comment

Working...
          X