Betaseron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron

Does anyone know if Betaseron will ever go generic or not? I've been on it for the past 7 years and our insurance is pressuring us to change over to one of the newer treatments due to the escalating cost. I don't want to change what works well for me, but if Betaseron isn't going generic anytime soon, I will have to make some decisions. Anyone know?
    Wendy
    "There are signs everywhere...."
    "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

I know there is one that is the exact makeup of Betaseron. Not sure of the price difference. Maybe worth looking into.
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

My understanding is Extavia is the same as Beta, might want to research it.

However, I don't understand your insurance company's reasoning. When I researched all of these a few yrs ago Beta was one of the cheaper DMDs, about 32K. G is running at least 10K more (prices with no insurance). Who knows how much BG-12 will be once it is approved (50K or more?)!

Logically speaking the newer the drug the more expensive so I really don't understand the reasoning ...
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Insurance companies make deals with drug suppliers for major discounts, so maybe Bayer is not negotiating as well as other suppliers.

Comment

Beta and Extavia are made from cloned material which is why they can't go "generic".
          It sounds like someone is getting some basic info confused with standard meds.

Comment

Working...
          X