Any Extavia Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Extavia Users?

I was diagnosed with MS in 1/12 and will be starting Extavia this coming week. Wondering why I never see any posts for this drug? Please feel free to respond positive or negative if you have any knowledge about it - any and all would be appreciated. Thanks from bored in FL.

It appears to be another brand name for Betaseron: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon_beta-1b
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

thanks!

i appreciate your input.

Comment

I looked into it (kinda) a while ago.
        From what I was able to see, its "genetically similar" to Beta which means they make it on the same ***'y line but can't say its identical since X and Beta are sold by different companies.
        Otherwise, the only real difference I saw was that Beta uses a thinner needle (28 ga. vs 30 ga.). You can get around that if you can get the thinner needle also Rx'd.

I get my meds from the VA so I mentioned it to them that X was cheaper and that I was willing to switch over to save them some bucks. It didn't go anywhere because the VA is one of the biggest buyers of medicine in the US and I'm guessing they had some contracts in place.
        I figured Extavia would take a hit once Gilenya went on the market.

Comment

thanks

thank u very much!

Comment

Aw heck, almost missed this:

Be sure to ask about premedicating if this is your first DMD med for MS.

Some of us felt flu-like symptoms when we were starting out on Beta. That isn't good or bad, it's just how Beta affects some people before they build a tolerance to it.
            Some folks don't feel it at all but there's no way to predict how you'll do.
            It isn't that big of a deal, just take what you'd normally take if you were feeling the aches and pains of the flu.
            For example, I take 400 mG of Alieve about 90 minutes before I do my shot.

Otherwise, be sure to aim for some flab.
            Beta and muscle tissue don't get along too well. To me, it kinda feels like a burn if I park a shot too close to a muscle.

Comment

thanks

thanks for your reply - will take your advice!

Comment

Definitely pre-medicate prior to your shot. I've found that I need about 30 mins prior to the shot in order to avoid the flu-like symptoms that can happen.

I've been on Betaseron for the past almost-8 years and for the first year I had all of the classic symptoms but not all the time. Some of the tricks to know: do your shot before bed, so you can sleep through any flu-like symptoms. Pre-medicate for the same reason. Mix up your Betaseron and get it into the needle but let it sit and 'de-fizz' for a while (Beta can sit for 3 hours once it's opened, so you have time to let it de-fizz). Last, if a shot hurts, put some ice on the injection site right after---it will help reduce redness and/or any swelling you might have.
                Wendy
                "There are signs everywhere...."
                "Life is wasted if it's not lived as an adventure."

Comment

Working...
                X