Bladder/bowel issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi New Normal,

I have the same bowel problem. Infact, is is one of my most dominant symptoms of MS.

I am a sales rep on the road and it can make my working life very difficult. At least I know what to expect each day.

Every day I am very consistent. I have breakfast and within 20 minutes like clockwork I need to use the toilet. I usually kid myself that I did so much I will not be needing to go again in the day. However, around half an hour after heading off to work I get such a rush of urgency. It is like half of me is pushing and the rest of e is desperately trying to hold it back until I make it home. I deliberately stay close to home until midday, as by then I am always complete for the day.

I am lucky that I am a rep and no one needs to know where I am all the time. I worry that sooner or later i will have to tell my company of this issue. It has been going on for a year now. I am going to a hospital on Monday that deals with bowel and bladder issues. Hopefully they can help.

My MS neuro says it is because of active lesions in the spine. I am also lucky that I know to expect this problem in the mornings and can work my day around it.

Comment

For New Normal who wants to know if others have had bowel accidents. Yup, several times, but the worst was walking across a local ball field. A wide open ball field just before dusk when a lot of people were taking a walk after dinner.All I could do was squat and lower my shorts. Afterwards I just raised my head and walked home. God, I'm married to a saint. Never knew that those incidents were flares though, somehow I feel better.

Comment

yea, I have problems, started out slow, got progressively worse, took a pill for while, now I self-cath, really helps and not a digustin at it seems. better than wet clothes

Comment

For New Normal and Barblee, I am waiting dx at the moment as the test results are coming in. MRI is pos so it will come...I have not had this BM symptom, instead mine just sits in there for 4 days and eventually comes out. But as I read both of your stories I cried and laughed so hard at the same time. New Normal you are right, it is good to share with people who can understand.

Though I am new to this, I know anything is possible in the future and while it will take strength to ensure what both of you did, we must find humor in it as well and just sharing shows you have found some peace with your stories. Thank you for sharing. The more I read about what others experience with grace and strength, the more hope it gives me that I will someday be able to do the same.

My current symptoms down there are more in the urinary realm. I cannot push the pee out anymore, it just has to fall out of me. Which worries me, no leakage yet, but that could be on the horizon.

Comment

Dear New Normal,

What an experience!!!! I bet those are the best growing bushes in the area
            Jodi
            "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

I have to go NOW

So my Dad does not get this and I do wear a pad started back in 2009. Control has gotten better but when I HAVE TO GO that does not mean "in 2 exits we'll stop" My Mom gets it and my friends do to but to get it through my father's thick skull has been something I have not been able to do!!! I am 38- I know when I have to pee!

Now that I got that off my chest Has anyone heard about using Botox to calm down your bladder? My neruo suggested it to me and it is something that is only temporary but I think it might be good to look into that for my vacation at home. I am on my 2nd bladder infection in 3 weeks- I had not had one for a while (back when I was having sex on a regular basis). Without a boyfriend I can only 'blame' MS- I try to empty my bladder and drink a lot but it is such a fine line between drinking and running to the bathroom 5 times a morning- or not drinking after 9pm so I don't get up and pee 5 times a night- just 2...I need some relief!

sad-bladder
              Karin- archaeologygirl

Comment

Karin - I'm in the same boat as you. When I need to go, I have to go, NOW. My neuro talked about botox. I've done it in my head for migraines and I wasn't all that thrilled with it. So I'm not sure how worth it for me it would be. I don't know. Sometimes though, I'd do anything....anything for just a moment of normal bladder.
                ~ Lisa

In limbo-land waiting for a diagnosis...yay?!

Comment

I had the sling surgery and it fixed the leaking from lifting coughing laughing etc . Now I have a new problem I can't tell if I need to go so my bladder just runs over I'm wetting my bed and my pants I have to watch a clockand just go whether I feel like I gotta go or not . I'm wondering if anyone has that issue , and maybe knows why it's happening . Thanks Tammy
                  A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
                  (unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by tambrown View Post
                    I had the sling surgery and it fixed the leaking from lifting coughing laughing etc . Now I have a new problem I can't tell if I need to go so my bladder just runs over I'm wetting my bed and my pants I have to watch a clockand just go whether I feel like I gotta go or not . I'm wondering if anyone has that issue , and maybe knows why it's happening . Thanks Tammy
                    Tammy, you probably have what they call retention overflow. Find a urologist and have them run a urodynamics test for you

What happens is your bladder fills up, but the signal doesn't get through that you need to go, due to the MS. So when your bladder can't hold anymore, it spills over and leaks.

A urodynamics test would tell you if this is happening. If it is, they'll probably teach you to self cath a few times a day, and that should solve the problem, because you'll be completely emptying your bladder by cathing.

Comment

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who has to plan my outings around where I know there will be a bathroom (or who has had to squat by the side of the road when desperate). I pee constantly, and I know I don't empty my bladder in the ordinary way, because if I push, I can usually squeeze out a few drops. Really, pretty much any time I even think about peeing, I just get up and go, because I'm going to have to do it soon anyways.

One handy thing about that is that if my doctor wants to do a urine test, I can pretty well guarantee that I'll be able to "produce."

With bowel stuff, I have what I call "tummy yuck," which means that out of the blue, I know that I have (if I'm lucky) five minutes to find a bathroom.

I've gotten good at convincing store owners and the like to let me use their bathroom (tip for people in cities: going into a restaurant with a sign saying "restroom for customers only" and offering a dollar to use the toilet usually results in them saying you can use it for free).

Also, if you've got a smartphone, there are apps that will tell you where the nearest public restroom is, and some of them even have ratings of things like how clean they are.
                      Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X