Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spasticity common in neck/upper back/shoulders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity common in neck/upper back/shoulders?

I am constantly tense & in pain in my neck, upper back & shoulder area. I know I carry tension there, but it seems to have become even worse over the past few months. I have no pinched nerves in neck/spine area, but a massage therapist recently told me that my muscles are EXTREMELY tight there.

I am not dx yet, but am just curious if spasticity is common in those areas. I had read that it is mostly in your lower extremities. Is that true?

Thanks!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Upper body spasticity

I experience a lot of problems with tightness in my neck and shoulders. I get a massage every month and the amount the knots are unbelievable. Finally, I went to a PT who helped me. I knew I had odd posture when I walked to help compensate for the fact that I have problems lifting my r. leg, but the fact that I had spasticity in my neck & shoulders never occurred to me.

The PT gave me some exercises and tips on how to relax those muscles. One was to buy a weight vest & wear it at home while cooking, etc. I bought one at a sporting goods store. My DH was amazed when I put it on. The difference in my gait was immediate. I use it in the am & sometimes pm while in the kitchen. Not a long period of time. It's a little heavy (20 lbs) & I'm not very big, so it's a lot of weight for me. I feel great when I take it off.

Comment

I don't know about how common it is - but I totally have it in my shoulders, neck, arms and even in my back - AND my legs. It hurts SO bad in the back. The one behind my left shoulder blade gets stuck all the time. OUCH
      Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
      ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

I had one in the rhomboids on one side a few weeks back that was so strong it pulled all the ribs on that side out of alignment. It lasted a week and every time I turned or tipped my head all the vertebra cracked and popped. It was very uncomfortable, even on 30mg of baclofen a day. A chiro adjustment during the peak of it relieved it by 50% then it slowly faded out.

This was followed by spasticity for two days in the bicep on the same side which went away. Then four days in the pecs and teres at the same time on the same side.

I've had chronic muscle tension on that side in all the neck and shoulder muscles for years that bring on wicked headaches. It wasn't until I went on the baclofen that my headaches went away for good.

But the spasticity I first experienced that I knew as spasticity started in the forearms this summer. Although now that I know what this is, it actually started 20 years ago in my hands.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I have dystonia, muscle tightness which leads to a big pain. In me, it's mostly in my neck and shoulders.

If you ask your doctor about it, it's pronounced dis-TONE-yuh. People with MS are more likely to have it than people who don't have MS.
          As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Comment

neck/shoulder tightness

Glad to see this post. I carry a lot of tension in my neck/shoulders.. The mornings are the worst.. I wake up my neck/shoulders are sooooo tight and they hurt. A shower helps just a wee bit.

I try to do neck exercises - move my head to one side and press my head down toward my ear using my hand.. which don't help too much - maybe I need to do them at least 3x a day for 20 min. I also do shoulder shrugs..(move the shoulders round and round).

Does anyone tight neck/shoulders causes head pressure - tight muscles in head??

BJG55 - I may invest in one of those weight vest..any other tips you can share??

Ms. Jay

Comment

Me too, chronic neck, back, shoulder pain. Especially in my traps.
              Opiegirl, Dx 1991
              Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
              Estriol 9/12-present
              Still Hopeful.

Comment

Thank you all for sharing! I like the idea of a weight vest. I feel as though I am shrugging my shoulders all the time, so that might help push them down & stretch the muscles.

When my tightness is at its worst, I can tip my head forward & lightly press down with my hand (pushing my chin more toward my chest) & send pain down my spine. I don't think this is l'hermite's but I know it brings sparkles to my eyes when I lift my head! I do feel tightness in my head at times too...not a headache per se, just tight skin, it feels like.

I know I have stress at work (I am not happy in my job anymore) so maybe I am blaming this on "possible" MS rather than on my tension at work but knowing my CNS could be making it worse is something to think about.
                "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

yes, I get the stressed feeling too, but the spasticity is almost like the muscles are stuck in a contracting position and won't come out. Like when you wake up in the night with that calf muscle stuck and it hurts - that is what happens in my back and arms and shoulders. It definately feels different than just being tight - it literally feels "stuck."
                  Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                  ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by salamandertom View Post
                    yes, I get the stressed feeling too, but the spasticity is almost like the muscles are stuck in a contracting position and won't come out. Like when you wake up in the night with that calf muscle stuck and it hurts - that is what happens in my back and arms and shoulders. It definately feels different than just being tight - it literally feels "stuck."

YEP EXTACTLY....IT FEELS STUCK. The back of my right leg feels like that but only when I stretch it.. I can feel the tight muscles. Do you think this is why I feel weak sometimes, get off balance a little, why I can't relax and stay soooo tensed.. what can we do about all this tightness

Comment

I get the tight muscles in my neck/shoulders/upper back as well. To me, it feels like the muscles have turned to steel, just so hard and tight. I didn't realize it was this common. I'm usually told MS mostly effects the lower extremities. The doctor told me it could be fibromyalgia. All I know is it's tight and it hurts and there are times (like now) I can't stand it.
                      Dx'd : 10/30/2002
                      Started Copaxone 12/16/2002
                      Currently on Rituxan

Comment

ughhhhh

i am not dx'd yet...but certainly have the shoulder neck and upper tightness....tho my pcp thought it unrelated and stress? its been MONTHS with this! some days its so tight i have a hard time moving my neck or arms...

While i wouldnt wish it on anyone, it was nice to see i am not alone in this....my ms neuro called it spasicity.... so looked it up, and i guess it is, but she hasnt treated it yet..
                        wish she would, it hurts!
                        your horse must be fast cuz' you were haulin' ***** when I passed you!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X