Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have a severe case of mono prior to dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple cases of strep as a child, mono age 14-out of school for 6 weeks, MS at 37-now 49 and hanging on the best I can. I guess we all share the common bonds of double MM's-MS & mono!

Comment

Never dxed with mono...have evidence of epstein-barr virus though which is mono-related.
      [I]Tellnhelen
      Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Same here!

Your mono story sounds very similar to mine. I had mono at 16 (and yes, I actually got it from kissing, isn't that embarrassing Anyways, then I was dx with RRMS at 26. I know that they have made some links to the 2, but they seem to link MS with just about everything these days When I was on Tysabri, they kept checking to make sure that the Mono didn't reappear. Luckily, it did not. Hope it doesn't for anyone. Mono is no fun at all (as with MS

Comment

Originally posted by CougarMama View Post
          Hi! My doctor calls me one of his "mono" patients because I had a severe case of mono when I was 17. I missed a month of school, got way too skinny and never really recovered my energy.
          Fast forward 10 years and I get an MS diagnosis I was curious to see if anyone else had a similar story?
          I have an eerily similar story. I, too, had a horrible case of mono when I was 17 (1974), missed 2 months of school, and was diagnosed with MS 5 years later (1979). No MRI then. I was diagnosed purely by my symptoms, and promptly ignored what I had heard.

I had my next episode in 1993, had the MRI, and spent 8 days in the hospital. Needless to say, it was one whopper of an exacerbation!

It's been a real thrill-ride...
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Interesting!

It's interesting to me that so many people have such similar stories! I used to have a gland in my neck (from the mono) that would get inflamed whenever I got run down (plus I would get fatigued and I never really was my pre-Mono self!)
            Did anyone else have any "tells" after mono that something was not right?

Comment

I had a bad case of mono when I was 16 and relapsed again at 17. Had CMV in my 40's and Dx with MS in my 50's, although, because of the scarring my neurologist thinks I've had MS for 30 to 35 years. No answers, just more questions.

Comment

When i was 7 i had mono...and was JUST today dx

Comment

Me too! Doc says most of his patients had it and they are linking it to ms.

Comment

Yes, I had mono in my pre-teens, then a cold in my twenties transitioned into a MS diagnosis.

Comment

I never had it that I am aware of but all during High School is was going around and about 75% of the kids had it so I was exposed to it .
                      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

nope. never even had strep throat, even though i had almost every other childhood disease under the sun.
                        Learn from yesterday
                        Live for today
                        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                        X