Which Drug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Drug

Hi I have been on Copaxone for 1 year as of June, this being the only drug I have used. How do you know if you should switch to another drug? I have not had any flare ups, my MS symptoms are pretty steady but always there. My neuro told me Copaxone is the safest!!

I don't take any DMD's because I am dx'd PPMS. I have been to a lot of drug company sponsored lecture/ dinners.
    The problem most have with Copaxone is the 'daily' injections and injection site 'fatigue'. If you have good success with no problems, don't change anything. Many people are changing their drug to Tecfidera, because it is an oral drug. I think I would consult with your doctor to help with the decision. Good luck

Comment

DMDs don't treat sx, the best to hope for is a slowing of this MonSter.

Talk to your doc, but he'll probably say to not change since you aren't having flares.
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I was on Copaxone for about 15 years, sadly I developed a allergy to it. I had a relapse 5 years after I stopped it. It did leave some dents in my thighs, arms and stomach. But living carefree with no relapse was wonderful. I say if it works keep with it.

It will not get rid of your current symptoms, but you want to prevent new ones!

Good luck.
        Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

I've been on Rebif since July 05 with only one "issue" of low white count requiring a short break from the med. I took a "sabatical" this past year for about 5 months and then went back on. Just needed a break. Also, decided to get a new neurologist. With recent MRI's showing some increase in lesions = progression? (he said we can't know if was due to my stopping for several months last year) because there were now MRI's prior. He has suggested I try the new oral med Gilenya. Switching to one of the injectables like Copaxone won't change the efficacy rate but the new med has a higher efficacy rate so he thinks I should switch.

My thoughts on switching to another drug at this point would be "if ain't broke, don't fix it.". Perhaps down the road, if you have progression or problems with the Copaxone then switching might be wise. In the meantime, you are stable and that is good.
          Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I take the injections pretty good right now and when I read all the problems with other drugs it just discourages me.. I intend to push myself as hard as possible to keep an active life , sometimes having to sit in the air conditioning before I colapse!!

Comment

I think it depends on which metric you use and how you weighs the pros and cons. I'm pretty asymptomatic for the most part but I have *tons* of lesions. Rebif had no effect on my lesion load after 7 months and I started to get really depressed from the drug so I switched to Tysabri. After 4 months my mri showed half the lesions and black holes compared to the earlier ones.

I might have stayed on it but being jc pos and with tecfidera coming out, I've decided to change again.

Lots of factors to consider! Best of luck.

Comment

Ive been on Copaxone for over 9 years - no relapses. I agree with everyone else - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As a side note, when Tysabri first came out, I was going to change. My neurologist was moving his office and wasn't going to be doing infusions until March 1 of that year. On February 28, Tysabri was pulled off the market. That was my sign - don't change.

Comment

Need Good Coverage

I would recommend that you stay with Copaxone. If you are thinking of switching to one of the oral meds, you need to check out your prescription drug coverage. Tecfidera for example is a $54,900 a year.

Comment

Working...
                  X