Leaning forward with my trunk since recent relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaning forward with my trunk since recent relapse

I was having back pain if I stood too long or walked very far. Had no idea why I had back spasms, but assumed it was MS because I had a relapse a couple of months ago and am healing very slowly.

Anyway my hubby noticed when I walk, I am leaning forward with my trunk.

I had no idea I was doing that! I didn't used to walk like that.

Turns out people do that sometimes to compensate for weakness in the legs. My legs are for sure weaker than before the MS (bad thoracic lesion).

So I am trying to remember to stand up straight as I walk! I still can't stand or walk as long as I want to though because of leg weakness. And getting up the stairs takes a lot more effort than it used to, but I am just thankful to be able to walk at all!

Have any of you ever found out you were leaning forward without realizing it, as you walked?

Hi MSLorrie,

You should probably discuss this with your neuro for the best advice and help.

My biggest struggle is mobility, it has been a continued battle for the last 28 years.

I still can't stand or walk as long as I want to though because of leg weakness.
    Have you seen a Physical Therapist (PT)? Do you try and exercise? Do you or have you tried using a mobility aid?

I would highly suggest Trekking Poles. They allow for a more normal walking position and they can be a helpful reminder to stand/walk straight

As a personal preference I like Black Diamond Trekking Poles and Leki - Fitness Rubber Walking Tips on my Poles.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

MSLorrie, I had a relapse in Nov/Dec that resulted in pronounced foward leaning in my standing & walking posture, but also caused 'shuffeling' gait. The 'shuffeling' gait can be associated with Parkinson, old age and dementia, although I'm sure it's also related to MS. It hasen't resolved, although there has been a change in 'presentation'. I now concentrate on straightening my posture, which seems to enable me to move forward.

My MS neuro dx'd my particular standing/gait dysfunction as 'Gait Apraxia'.

You should probably contact your Neuro's office to make sure it's not something they need to evaluate sooner rather than later during your next appointment.

Comment

My suggestion is to seek physical therapy. They will teach you exercises to strengthen both your legs and core. They will notice things you have no idea are going on, and becoming aware of them will help you engage strategies to correct them.

It's a good thing that your husband noticed and told you that you were doing this. I had no idea the times I was walking "funny", which in retrospect was quite often. This finally caused me to have some other problems (i.e. back, knee) which could have been prevented or at least been minimized if addressed sooner.

I'd recommend a neuro pt if you can find one.

Wishing you stronger days ahead and walking upright, again!
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

when I have done too much and get fatigued my trunk feels achy and it looks like my stomach is sticking out........when I feel normal it looks normal. I told my neuro she looked at me like I had two heads but wrote it in my chart.
          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Thanks everyone! I am transitioning from military

Care to civilian care so I won't be able to ask for PT until I get a civilian Neuro but will ask then for sure!

Thank you all so much for the helpful answers!

Comment

I do that. My p/t told me what weakened muscles are causing it and we're working on them, but I basically walk like an old lady unless I really concentrate.
              Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
              X