Massage for back spacticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massage for back spacticity

I am having back spacticity to the point it is keeping me awake at night! I am wondering if massage will help and if so what kind should I get? I have never had one before so I don't know where to start!

I've gone for massages before that while they felt good at the time, the effects didn't last much past the time when I had the massage. My suggestion would be to start with getting your medical provider to refer you to a good physical therapist. I've been having lower back problems as the result of an auto accident and have seen a physical therapist who has greatly impacted my symptoms.

Comment

I cannot have massages any more. The last massage I went for, must have released toxins that my body could not "handle", as it sent me into a wicked relapse.
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
        I cannot have massages any more. The last massage I went for, must have released toxins that my body could not "handle", as it sent me into a wicked relapse.
        Yess, I too had a really bad reaction to my first massages. Turns out the next day my back felt like a sunburn. Thought it was the lotion.. it was not. Then when I got up from the next massage, I could hardly walk!!! I could not remember how to dress. My legs hardly worked. Later that same day, I fell and gave myself a concussion. It was awful and scared me away (and the massuse too) from further massages. Seems all the toxins it released flooded my system/brain and I looked like I had had a stroke!

Well told that to a much more seasoned maseuse, and she took her time, went slowly and lightly. I did fine. It felt wonderful.. I never had a bad reaction with her. DRANK a LOT of water before I left too.

Still I am not sure all masseuse's would not how to deal with MS.
        Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

This is interesting! I have had two massages in two months and they have been such a disappointment. My neck spasticity is immune to the massages and I am a sensory malfunctioning mess for days afterwards. Now THIS is a depressing development.

Comment

YES!

I have massage therapy from a LMT, and it is SO WORTH IT to me. Realizing we are all very different, I asked her , before the appointment, if she would please find out any info she needed to, knowing I have MS. She did.

I get awful "knives" in my back. She finds them (immediately) and works and works to remove them. The knife was there for about 6 months, then with treatment, it continues to move around.... but at least my lmt can get rid of that knife, and the new one comes in a new spot and then it is time for another appointment. At one time I was going every 2 weeks, now about once a month.

I also started going to a chiropracter, and that helped somewhat.

Good Luck!
            You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Chiropractor helped my back some and I am thinking I am going to try massage!

My back is hurting so bad right now I cannot sleep! Back to the chiro tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
              X