Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have tongue or lip numbness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever have tongue or lip numbness?

Hello,
    I think I might be in the middle of a flare that started about nine days ago with 'numbness' in my right leg. There is still feeling, but it feels a little 'dull' and like I rubbed IcyHot on it or something.

Now, 2 days ago, my tongue, or perhaps just the left side of it feels a little numb, or 'dull' feeling like novocaine wearing off. Even the left side of my lips and even gums feel that way a little. At first I thought it was related to the TMJ problems that I'm having right now because it feels more numb when I chew or talk for a while, but I think it may be part of this flare. It's not super bad, but I'm scared.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Did you take steroids for it? In the past, I did have a MS-related burning tongue issue on the left side, but that healed on its own because I never thought it could be MS related. But mouth numbness scares me a lot.

Thank you!

You should give your neurologist a call. You most likely are having a flare, especially since you have had burning in the tongue in the same area before. I have had numbness on one side of my tongue before. I have a brain stem lesion that causes it. It eventually led to many other symptoms like trouble swallowing and other things. I am given IV Solumedrol for it 5-days.

It will be up to your docs what they want to do about it, but since it has been going on for a couple of days, it is best to call them and let them know.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

had it

yes, I had the tongue numbness..weird feeling! Mine was half my face which included half of my tongue. It was my first major flare before I was dx.

Don't worry about it, it's only a 'feeling' and it will go away

take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Camsue View Post
        yes, I had the tongue numbness..weird feeling! Mine was half my face which included half of my tongue. It was my first major flare before I was dx.

Don't worry about it, it's only a 'feeling' and it will go away

take care
        I had the same symptoms two years ago, though my numbness started around my right ear at the same time I was being treated for an ear infection. So, for the first few days I thought that the numbness that spread to encompass the whole right half of my face including my lips and tongue was an allergic reaction to the ear drops I was using.

I was dx on day 5 of these symptoms, given nothing for them, and by day 8 the sx were gone. So far, they haven't returned.

I think that neuros typically will only 'treat' a flare if it significantly impacts your major life functions (ie, if you couldn't walk due to the numbness or had trouble eating or swallowing). Still, I would call your neuro and speak with them about it.

Comment

SonyaK

First off, don't be scared. I started that tongue burning thing last year and I immediately thought it was cancer. Went to my PCP...he is like "I don't know what's going on...lets do blood tests." By the time the blood tests came back, I could not talk or eat...I was certain it was cancer.

So PCP called neuro and the neuro referred me immediately to an ENT to eliminate all diseases. After a few tests and two visits, the ENT said, "this is your MS acting up". I said no way was this whole thing about MS and he said it could affect my ENTIRE mouth.

I was not put on steroids, they put me on Neuontin instead and the first pill worked...so yes, it was MS. I just recently had IV Steroids and even after several months, my tongue burning was wiped out by those steroids.

So, as the other posters have said...please see you neuro...because mouth problems can be caused by MS. Amazing what MS can cause.
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I had this a few months ago - after an incredible headache that landed me in the ER.

The end result after the headache was gone was that almost half of my face was numb (muscles inside) but that my skin was ultra-sensitive. My eyeball itself was numb - unable to wear contacts for a few weeks under dr.'s orders. My face, nose, upper gums and tongue on left side were numb - but not my lower gum. It was like a line right down the middle of my face. I had trouble swallowing for a little while, but that disappeared after a few hours.

It took about 4 weeks for things to really subside and then within 6 weeks all symptoms were completely gone. They were not debilitating, so I did not use any treatment.

You should at the very least contact your neuro to let them know about this and put it in your file even if they do not treat you.

Comment

Thank you for all of your replies! This helps me a lot! I will call my neuro and report this to her. I guess I had just been putting off calling her because I've never had numbness that worsened with activity (in this case chewing, etc.). MS is so strange. Perhaps then this was never a TMJ issue at all? Anyway, thank you so much! I feel more at ease now after reading your responses.

Comment

The flare that led to my DX caused the whole right side of my head, including the right side of my tongue and right side of mt lips, to go numb.

It was freaky, but solumedrol fixed it right up.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

RE: face numbness

Yes, and it's weird. It appears to be permanent with me, although it gets much more noticeable with a migraine or with heat. I have numbness down my entire left side, which was attributed to spinal stenosis, but the face and tongue numbness caused my neurologist to become concerned.
                  CIS DX 2013

Comment

Those sx remind me of my last flare. My neurologist ordered an MRI and when the lesions came up active it was five days of steroids.

Comment

Sounds like a flare to me. I too would call your doctor. I have had numbness that felt like burning above my upper lip. It comes and goes so I think it is damaged beyond repair. Good luck!
                      I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

Working...
                      X