Sleep apnea/sleep test...anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep apnea/sleep test...anyone?

I was wondering about sleep tests. Do you go at night? What happens when you have to go to the bathroom? Any options other than a CPAP mask? Perhaps a special pillow?
    Tawanda

Tawanda: I have not had the study but have worked in the sleep lab. Yes, you usually go at night. Most of the time the leads are long enough for you to reach the bathroom. If not, the person giving it will unhook you for you to go.

As far as devices, depending on your results, you may need a CPAP or BiPap device. The BiPap is more comfortable as it gives a breath when you take a breath and gives a steady flow for CPAP but not as harsh as the CPAP machine.

If you could use a pillow, you most likely wouldn't need a sleep study, but you will see what the test shows.

Best of luck on it! I hope you will be sleeping better soon!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

FWIW I have known quite a few people who were resistant to sleeping with a CPAP machine but they now swear by them.

Good luck! I would welcome a nice night in a clean bed without critters bombarding me even if it was a strange location.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I've had 3 or 4 sleep studies. I'm not going to say there's nothing to it, but of all the tests we are subjected to this is a cake walk. The ladies that hooked me up were super nice. I warned them that I probably would need to go to the bathroom twice during the night. They'd come in and unplug me and when I was done they came back and would replug me. It was a little odd being "wired" up and knowing that someone was watching me sleep, but nothing bad. Ask about a humidifier on your machine (if you end up needing one). I always was having difficulty with my head stopping up with my old machine and mentioned it to the sleep lab gal and she tried it on me AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!

Hope that helped some.
        "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

I was phoned yesterday, to schedule one. I had 2 of the home test ones, 2 years ago. They said they were more concerned of my sleep deprivation, as opposed to sleep apnea.

Recently, I put a baby cam monitor in my room. I was waking up with tons of bruise's and cuts on my tongue, chipped teeth and inner mouth. Concerned, it might be a seizure. Well, my legs kick and kick, all night long. I get tired of watching it.

So, I phoned my M.D. and was put on Sinemet(i'd get up and make sure of the spelling, but my little dog is in a position). No longer are my legs Restless, at all. I am waking up and not sleepy. Yet, remain tired, all day.

Before he puts me on Provigil, he wants to make sure, that is the reason and rule out, as many other possibilities as possible. Since, I was a walking pharmacy; and obviously, mis-diagnosed for 2 decades, maybe.

I tried a CPAP, 2 years ago, when I was worried about it. I couldn't sleep with it, at home. And I doubt, I'll sleep during my test.

I am fretting and fretting. IF I am awake all night (and I surely will be), I am so fatigued and exhausted in the A.M. I cannot function and get extremely weak & Unable to drive. lately, I am sleeping at least 6 un-interupted hours!!

I am so tired during the day, which is the reason for the test. To Make Sure, sleep apnea is not causing the fatigue. It isn't, when I feel rested and not sleepy, just fatigued~wish I could explain that symptom better. If it weren't me, I would not understand it.

A taxi costs too much for the trip to the sleep center (it is a 45 minute drive--one way, easily) and I don't have any friends that drive or live near me.

I am wondering IF, they will let me take a nap, before I leave. And expecting, they close up shop and no-one is there, late A.M.. I maybe sleeping across the street in a motel. It sure would be nice, to take my little critter too! Since, she is part of my sleep!

I'll phone tomorrow and get the 'date.' I've refused in-patient, for this, in the past. As, I put a recorder in my room and listened for the 'sleep apnea.' It wasn't bad. And the previous report, said that, as well. It is the sleep deprivation. We'll see.

Tawanda, you'll probably have yours, before mine; Please post back and let me know, how you do? And any tips or routine? thanks fed

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
            I was phoned yesterday, to schedule one. I had 2 of the home test ones, 2 years ago. They said they were more concerned of my sleep deprivation, as opposed to sleep apnea.

Recently, I put a baby cam monitor in my room. I was waking up with tons of bruise's and cuts on my tongue, chipped teeth and inner mouth. Concerned, it might be a seizure. Well, my legs kick and kick, all night long. I get tired of watching it.

So, I phoned my M.D. and was put on Sinemet(i'd get up and make sure of the spelling, but my little dog is in a position). No longer are my legs Restless, at all. I am waking up and not sleepy. Yet, remain tired, all day.

Before he puts me on Provigil, he wants to make sure, that is the reason and rule out, as many other possibilities as possible. Since, I was a walking pharmacy; and obviously, mis-diagnosed for 2 decades, maybe.

I tried a CPAP, 2 years ago, when I was worried about it. I couldn't sleep with it, at home. And I doubt, I'll sleep during my test.

I am fretting and fretting. IF I am awake all night (and I surely will be), I am so fatigued and exhausted in the A.M. I cannot function and get extremely weak & Unable to drive. lately, I am sleeping at least 6 un-interupted hours!!

I am so tired during the day, which is the reason for the test. To Make Sure, sleep apnea is not causing the fatigue. It isn't, when I feel rested and not sleepy, just fatigued~wish I could explain that symptom better. If it weren't me, I would not understand it.

A taxi costs too much for the trip to the sleep center (it is a 45 minute drive--one way, easily) and I don't have any friends that drive or live near me.

I am wondering IF, they will let me take a nap, before I leave. And expecting, they close up shop and no-one is there, late A.M.. I maybe sleeping across the street in a motel. It sure would be nice, to take my little critter too! Since, she is part of my sleep!

I'll phone tomorrow and get the 'date.' I've refused in-patient, for this, in the past. As, I put a recorder in my room and listened for the 'sleep apnea.' It wasn't bad. And the previous report, said that, as well. It is the sleep deprivation. We'll see.

Tawanda, you'll probably have yours, before mine; Please post back and let me know, how you do? And any tips or routine? thanks fed
            I have not scheduled one as yet. I have an appt. with an ENT and another one with my neuro. I will wait until then. I don't want to make a special appt. for this, since I am getting my GERD rechecked anyway...why an extra copay when you have to watch every penny? nothing happens that fast with M.S. anyway

I found that with meds for the GERD, Prolosec, I don't snort during the day like I used to (embarassing symptom room here I come) but doesnt stop me from waking up snoring, or snorting. I don't know if this is mild apnea or major apnea that I need a CPAP mask for, and I would be OK with a sleep test, but the mask? I don't fear dying in my sleep as much as wearing a mask! It is the daytime fatigue from hell that cost me my employment ten years ago, the other MS symptoms I could have dealt with

I love the tape recorder, nanny cam prelude. Everyone in this house passes out when they hit he hay so my family doesn't notice my sleep habits (except my husband did hear me talking in my sleep).

The test is the gold standard for apnea even if they give you a sleep aid it is still accurate. Incidentally, my husband snores his head off and just deals with it. Of course, he does not have M.S. nor is he fatigued every day.

Whoever gets this done first reports back to this thread!
            Tawanda

Comment

Tawanda,

I have had a sleep study, I have sleep apnea and I use a CPAP.

The sleep study was done at night at a sleep center. I had a private room, comfy bed, and TV. I was hooked up so I could be monitored.

Bathroom breaks: the lady doing the testing would come in and unhook me and hook me back up afterwards. At one point when it became obvious to the testing that I was have quite a few "apnea" episodes she came in to hook me up to a CPAP.

A CPAP is the only treatment for sleep apnea. I didn't like the thought of having to wear a mask at night but I got used to it.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I worked as a sleep technician for 3 or 4 years. In my experience, if a person is sent to a sleep lab to address daytime fatigue he/she usually has sleep apnea. CPAP or BiPAP is the only way to treat this (unless it's a child, then they remove tonsils to open up the throat area).

Wearing a mask would be difficult to get used to, but when you can actually fix a serious health problem you do what you have to. I've had patients who had many, many, many periods where they stopped breathing during their study and once I started CPAP their sleep was so much better.

I think the hardest thing would be sleeping with all the wires attached to your head, but if you're tired enough you will. Going to the bathroom is no big deal. Your tech will just unplug the little box all the wires are attached to and probably hang it around your neck so you can take it with you.

Having a sleep test is a great way to diagnosis a lot (maybe all) sleep disorders. Don't worry, you'll be in good hands.
                Lori
                Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post

fed
                  Fed Up, "listening" for sleep apnea is not reliable. You can have sleep apnea without actually snoring, and there are many people who snore like a freight train, yet don't have apnea. My DH is one of those, and he's been tested for sleep apnea (negative).

I personally found that treating the apnea with cPAP makes me feel better overall. I still get MS fatigue, but have very little daytime sleepiness.

Comment

Working...
                  X