No announcement yet.

Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder sometimes too if the combination of ALC/ALA is helped by taking a B complex. I thought I read that awhile back. Maybe for those it doesn't work for, if they'd add a good B complex, it would help. I know I take ALC/ALA, B complex, potassium, calcium, multi-vitamin, omega 3-6-9, and vitamin D3. Maybe some of that mixed with it is what makes the difference.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

ok i'll get that. so how much of the other if not 200mg?? i also take a b complex.

so excited to try this and see if i get my energy back. that would be awesome.
      Jen Dx'd 5/11
      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
        ok i'll get that. so how much of the other if not 200mg?? i also take a b complex.

so excited to try this and see if i get my energy back. that would be awesome.
        Sorry; I mis-remembered the dosage on the ALCAR. It's been a couple of years since I took it myself, and I have enough trouble remembering what I did yesterday!

The proportion is 200 mg ALA to 500 mg ALCAR. After a while, if you're not seeing the results you hoped for, you can try going up to 400 mg ALA/1000 mg ALCAR.

Other people may take different amounts, but this is what both Dr. Andy Weil and Dr. Elliot Frohman recommend.

For future reference, you can buy pills that have both ALA and ALCAR in the proper proportion. I got mine online from Bronson Labs.

Comment

Proportions

Ok so the proportions are getting confusing. Is it 200mg/1000mg or is it 400mg/1000mg?
          My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Originally posted by KureMS View Post
            Ok so the proportions are getting confusing. Is it 200mg/1000mg or is it 400mg/1000mg?
            It's 200/500, 400/1000, or more keeping to the same proportion of ALA/ALCAR.

Some people may be taking different proportions, but the above is the recommendation of Dr. Elliot Frohman, nationally respected MS neurologist, and Dr. Andy Weil.

Comment

Proportions

Thanks Sequoia, I guess I need to correct my proportions. I just started taking within the last couple of weeks because my fatigue has gotten worse with the onset of summer here in North Texas. Sure hope this helps!

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              It's 200/500, 400/1000, or more keeping to the same proportion of ALA/ALCAR.

Some people may be taking different proportions, but the above is the recommendation of Dr. Elliot Frohman, nationally respected MS neurologist, and Dr. Andy Weil.
              My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

I should add that the recommended dose on the bottle of Bronson Labs ALA/ALCAR is two of the 200/500 tablets a day, taken all at once or at separate times.

Also, maybe it's time to reiterate that anyone who is a diabetic should monitor blood sugar closely when taking ALA.

Comment

To add to what Sequoia said, anyone who is taking thyroid meds needs to check with their doctor before taking these supplements as they could require a change in their medication amounts.

Also, the amount of ALC used in the university studies was 2,000 mg, so you can take up to that amount if the 1,000 mg dosage doesn't work. But I'd start low and work your way up. And definitely take a B complex with it. That might be what the difference is in those who don't get relief from the fatigue and those who do. (Maybe I should start a new thread asking for feedback on that!)
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I am just starting these supplements today however; I have been taking very high doses of Vitamin C (6000 mg daily) and that also helps. It is also helpful for pain as it is a great anti inflammatory.. Start out with lower doses and work up though.

Comment

How much to take at once?

For those who take 1000 mg of ALC/ 400 mg of ALA, do you take it all at once or do you take it several times a day? Also, I noticed one of the side effects is upset stomach. Has anyone noticed any side effects worth mentioning?

Comment

I take 1,000 mg of ALC and 200 mg of ALA every morning. I haven't had any problems with side effects at all, though I know some have complained of headaches or smelly urine (I'd put up with smelly urine for the fatigue relief!) They should be taken on an empty stomach, and don't eat for about an hour after you take them to get the full effect. (Though that hasn't seemed to make any difference in the results I get.)

Good luck! I hope they work as well for you as they have for me and others here.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you so much. I really hope this helps, I don't know how much longer I can handle this fatigue.

Comment

Hope!

After reading this chain I ran straight to the Vit store and bought them. I checked with my pharmacist and she said it should not have any interaction with my current drugs. I would be so thankful to get even an ounce if energy back!

Comment

I tried it 2 different times and felt sleepier than usual in the afternoon. I couldn't think of anything I was doing differently besides this supplement. Provigil helps so I use it when needed. Maybe I'll try it one more time since so many of you love it. I heard it's also good for brain health.

Comment

I have been on ALC and ALA for a few days now and I cannot believe the difference, it is a miracle. Thank you everyone for your suggestions it was a life saver.

Comment

Working...
                                X