Lady needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady needs help

Hi everyone I am 41 years old, a female, there is history of MS in my family - uncle-2 years ago it was Thought that maybe iwas having early signs but the spinal tap and MRI proved "sorta negative" i continue to have neuro signs- my problem right now is that I am separated from my husband raising 3 kids with little help and his insurance wonn't help me much. I do work a part time job with no benefits. Is there any place i can get help to confirm or deny a diagnosis of MS. THANK YOU:

I don't know what testing you have done already. But I can assure you that you can trust a neurologist who specializes in treating MS. I would look into a teaching university hospital for a second or third opinion.
    There are a lot of tests that need to be administered before a diagnosis of MS can be made definitively. I think you would be best served if you spoke to your local chapter of the NMSS about referring a local neurologist. And don't overlook the importance of very complete blood tests, vitamin D and B-12 included. Good luck

Comment

A SPINAL TAP WAS A SURE DX FOR ME. I WAS TOLD THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A DX FOR SURE. I ALSO HAVE 3 KIDS..SINGLE MOM. HAD MEDICAID TIL I GOT DISABILITY, THEN WAS TOLD I MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY FOR MEDICAID. LUCKILY MCV(MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VA)IS NEARBY AND I QUALIFIED FOR THEIR ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, SO EVERYTHING IS FREE. HAVE YOU CHECKED INTO ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN YOUR AREA?

Comment

THANKS

Thank you for all the suggestions. I live near UF at gainsville FL perhaps they may have a financial program that can help me

Comment

help

many states have a program for the underinsured with chronic conditions. go to MS CARES and see if there is a MS registered hospital in your area. they are the best
          and get those darn vitamin D levels tested. it is clearly a line with MS and my husband who was diagnosed at 53 and told he would be in a wheelchair in a year. had incredibly low vitamin D - his doctor at Johns Hopkins says he doens't need any more studies and of his low vit d patients are on massive doses
          and yes the spinal tap is the only definitve thing but only works if you are in a flare throwing off oglicoite bands ( I think I spelled that wrong) MRIs that show active lesions would also be definitive
          good luck

Comment

Hi -

You should check with your local hospitals to see what they offer for programs. We have two programs here - one for uninsured and another for under-insured.

If you have 211 - give them a call and ask what programs you might qualify for.

I also think that the NMSS can provide assistance with finances for obtaining a diagnosis; or can help point you in the right direction to obtain finances for diagnosis.

You can also speak to the office staff at the neurologist's office and see if they have any recommendations.

With regards to donnaps's post - I wanted to clarify what was meant by the spinal tap being the "only definitive thing" (I'm assuming for an MS diagnosis). A spinal tap, or a positive spinal tap (also called a lumbar puncture / LP), is not necessary to diagnose MS.

You should Google on the McDonald Criteria for MS to get a better idea of what requirements must be met for a diagnosis if you have questions.

Comment

Working...
            X