Copaxone - Reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone - Reaction

I started Copaxone recently after being on tysabri for 2 years. Neuro wants me to take a 6 mth break from tysabri. Anyway, on the 7th shot, I woke up at 2am shaking uncontrollable and freezing cold. (this is 3 hours after given the shot) Finally fell back asleep 4 hours later. When I woke up again, I had a 104° fever and was burning up. Fever broke after an hour. Rested all day and felt good.
    Shot 8 - SAME THING!
    Shot 9 - REPEAT AGAIN!!

I didn't think anything of this until it's happened 3 nights in a row. Nothing else has changed (new meds, diet, etc) And I don't have any other signs of another illness.

I think I am having a reaction to copaxone. My body doesn't like it. I've been on avonex and rebif and didn't do well on either of those.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What is your opinion? I know side effects are minimal but every one reacts different.

I am skipping tonight. Calling my neuro in the morning.

Sorry this is so long.

Copaxone

It's my understanding that Copaxone does not cause any flu like symptoms. It was one of the reasons I chose it years ago. Please let us know what your neuro has to say about the reactions and I hope you're feeling much better!

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
      It's my understanding that Copaxone does not cause any flu like symptoms. It was one of the reasons I chose it years ago. Please let us know what your neuro has to say about the reactions and I hope you're feeling much better!
      Same here! Keep us updated thanks
      Ankylosing Spondylitis DX- Sept 2008, MS DX- November 2011,RRMS- 1-11-12, Copaxone -3-2-12

Comment

I was advised to try again tonight premedicating with benedryl. and also to heat up the injection site prior and applying ice after.........

I don't know how pleased I am with that answer. And my husband isn't comfortable with injecting me again. I don't know what I am going to do tonight.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for 11 years. I have never experienced or heard of this type of reaction to Copaxone. I have experienced IPIR (immediate post injection reaction) a couple of times. This supposed only happens in 10% of Copaxone users and having a subsequent occurence is even more remote.

I hope that you will not react if you decide to following the recommended pre-injection procedure recommended...I have found Copaxone to be a very easy med to use and adapt to...until now...I have just relapsed and had an MRI with new activity and the Dr. thinks I may need a change or a supplement going forward.

Good luck!
          Angela Dx RRMS 7/2001; Copaxone 9/2001

Comment

Does your doc think it's an allergic reaction and that's why you're pre-medicating with Benadryl?

Please let us know how you make out.
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

"Everyone" including Shared Solutions will tell you that Copaxone will not cause what you experienced. However, I am here to tell you it happened to me, too, when I first started on Copaxone.

For about the first 10 days, about 2-3 hours after injection I would have a flu-like reaction that started with a stiff neck, went into a headache, then the chills and fever would start.

I called my neuro and he said he's seen this at the beginning of Copaxone use in probably 1/1000 patients and told me to take an Aleve 2 hours before injecting for the first 2 weeks.

That's what I did, and the Aleve halted the reaction and after I stopped pre-medicating I had no further reactions to it.

I hope this helps you, don't give up, hang in there.

Comment

Working...
              X