I did it /1st copaxone shot last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it /1st copaxone shot last night

Well my husband actually did the shot for me. I did it in the left thigh . Didn't hurt until about a minute later then omg. I ice it for about an hour ,then tried to stand up . omg again. I'll get used to it . Today there is a small bruise,pink welt there . Nothing too bad.
    One shot down ,thousand more to go.
    dx.SPMS (baclofen,gabapenin,norco)
    started tecfidera 7/10/2013
    rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)
    copaxone started 4/2012 but stopped due to bad allergic reaction
    Matt.19;26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

WTG, Wheeliegirl! You really do get used to it and it gets better in time, but yeah. Ow.

Comment

I was planning on waiting for the auto injector to get here but my husband talked me into starting now. It was a good thing.
      rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)

Comment

Good job!! My dh had to give me my 1st shots for about 2 wks - that's how freaked out I was. When I started doing shots they didn't have the auto injectors yet, but wow, I can tell you it is soooo much easier using them! You also will have less pain as time goes by~ Try icing the area first. I found it less painful.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I tried tonight to use heat then shot then ice. omg it hurt . Going back to icing before the shot and after. I learn the hard way. lol

Comment

Congrats to you. I pick up my Copaxone prescription on Monday (first MS med ever) and plan on waiting until the Copaxone nurse comes out on Friday afternoon to start. I'd rather wait and be sure especially since I'm needle phobic. I'm very happy that my dh will be able to be there to learn too and get any questions answered.

Comment

I've got some experience with having to take shot. I've got RA along with the MS . Used to take methotrexate injections once a week. My husband and i used to work at in a nursing home so shot are no problem for him. I've personally never given myself a shot yet . I'm waiting for the injector . My hands shake to much to do it free style. It will be better for me to do them myself on my own time. But so far things are going ok . Not fantastic but ok. I'm am have so bad weakness that i wasn't getting before the shot. I'm hoping that I'm not relapsing . Taking it one day at a time.

Comment

Congrats!!

I'm just over 2 months on Copax, my first dmd ever also...

I am still learning where NOT to inject!

Some places are just worse than others but I am keeping my rotations going and not missing one shot so far.

The autoject is easier now, but I started manually at first too. My DH was a little too anxious to give me a shot so I've done them all myself.

Good luck.
                Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Oh the joys of needle drugs!

I inject manually in my stomach & thighs and autoject in the arms & hips, after my morning shower.

Fortunately, I've had no reactions that last even a whole day but the sting can be pretty intense. Someone (here?) suggested applying pressure right after the shot (for less than a minute) and that does help a bit better than ice/heat/nothing...
                  1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                  NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Congrats Wheeliegirl, I hope Copax has positive results for you. You will get used to the shots and find a regimen that minimizes the side effects, it might take a few tries.

Can I be so bold as to offer a couple of things that work for me? I have been taking Copax since 2007 with really good results and I don't have welts all over my body.

I read on this message board that if you gently push down on the little bump that forms right after the shot for approx 30 seconds (don't rub it), then apply ice and then Benadryl cream (an absolute life saver for the itch) it cuts down on the pain, itch and welts.

It actually works! Good luck and I hope you get used to them soon. There's tons of other great suggestions on this message board.

Jen
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

You may want to consider adding N-acetyl Cysteine (NAC) to your Copaxone routine as it looks like NAC makes Copaxone more effective.

NAC is a cheap supplement. Google: copaxone n-acetylcysteine

Safety and Efficacy Study of Copaxone Administered in Combination With N-Acetylcysteine

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00203099

Comment

Forgot 1 other tip that helps cut down on the sting. Instead of using alcohol swabs to disinfect before your shot, use baby bum wipes or good old soap and water.
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

It gets easier!

The first week is the worst! I took Copaxone for years and eventually it was no big deal. I remember the first week/month being stressed out over it. I had a young child when I started and used to tell myself to be brave - this shot was so my baby could have a normal mom.

No pain for me in fleshy areas like hips. Important to rotate areas!

Be strong! You can do it! Good luck!

Comment

So far everything is going good. Just had another shot to my stomach . The only bad "problem" I've noticed is that I'm weaker that normal since starting the shots and having insomnia . It probably has nothing to do with the shot.
                            Other than that Its been a breeze. The bruising that I got from the first shot is healing fast. Which is very unusual for me . Bruising usually stays with me for a month. So this stuff must be good.
                            Knuckle ~ thanks for the tip about the N-acetyl Cysteine. I'll have to get me some soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X