Iranian Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iranian Avonex

Just in case you find yourself in Iran and can't get your Avonex, the Iranian version is just as good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22429566

I wonder if they sold it here what it would cost?

Originally posted by BigA View Post

I wonder if they sold it here what it would cost?
    That is an interesting thought. How much do they want for it in US dollars.

Comment

This is a good example of how important it is to know how to interpret a study, and why an abstract alone isn't sufficient to to determine a study's reliability.

A test of 31 people isn't adequate to conclude that the "Iranian version" of Avonex is "just as good" as Avonex. At best, it meets the study's conclusion that it's a "safe and effective alternative" to Avonex.

Second, this study lost 44% (24 of 55) of its subjects. That's an unusually high dropout rate with several implications. Any study that loses almost half of its subjects should be interpreted with caution. The full study needs to be read to establish how reliable the statistics and conclusions are. The conclusions would be completely invalid if that 44% dropped out because they found the drug to be not safe or effective.

Comment

Redwings, thanks. I meant it a tongue in cheek, but I appreciate the lesson. I normally read studies with great scrutiny.

It's made in conjunction with a german company. I'm sure it's made well. I don't know if it's chemically exact.

Comment

I got your joke BigA, but I'm not sure other folks did. Hence the "teaching moment."

Comment

Working...
          X