Baclofen and worsening spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and worsening spasms

Started Baclofen on Tuesday.. So it has been less than a week that I have been on the med.
    I had "The Hug" hit me in January and it has never completely gone away since. I do have bouts of very painful spasms with it every so often.....BUT
    It seems the last week or so the spasms and cramps in my ENTIRE body have gotten totally out of control.
    My sides and stomach have been giving me heck terribly for a few days now and my legs and back are just constant spasms.

I am having some issues with walking as the spasms in my inner thighs have gotten almost constant.
    I have been in pain from this and am ready to just throw a temper tantrum.
    I lay in bed and it seems I can't lay still because of the twitches, spasms and cramps. I am not moving my body it is just moving itself.

Could the Baclofen make this all worse before it makes it better?

I have really hoping for a miracle with this med and now it seems it is just all getting progressively worse.
    DX 10/26/11

Sorry you're in so much pain. I get the exact same thing with the spasms and cramping. My neuro increased my baclofen. I was on 20mg 3x daily and now Im on 40mg 3-4x daily and that seems to be working great. Helps with my tremors too.

Comment

How much baclofen are you taking and how often?

also, just from personal experience, baclofen helps my spasticity, but there are spasms that aren't spasticity. I've had that explained to me before, but I can't remember the explanation. all I know is that spasms that aren't spasticity have responded to a small dose of a benzodiazepene and not to baclofen.

I have a baclofen pump, and my leg spasticity is much more controlled by that than it ever was with oral baclofen. I still take a low dose or oral spasticity med for upper body spasticity...the pump works for spasticity from T9 and below that level. I also take a small dose of a benzo for spasms in my tongue/face.

Hope you find something to work for you.

Comment

Gosh, sorry you are in such pain and misery.
        Make sure you get enough potassium and Magnesium too.

Let your doctor know as soon as you can?
        You could call the doc on call this weekend and have pharmacy number handy. Maybe they could make adjustments right away. But do not forget those much needed supplements.

Hope you get relief and soon!
        Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

He started me out on 10MG once a day for right now. He is very careful with me with meds because I have had some serious side effects from a couple of meds. I do not tolerate many meds at all. Darn my body!

The only thing I have noticed so far with this dosage is a little nausea, a little bloating, but that can also be from having a ravenous appetite the last couple of weeks for some reason, and severe drowsiness. My eyes look like I have been in a fight and lost...I have really dark circles underneath, brownish to almost black.

I almost left work last night because my stomach was getting so bad, but I toughed it out, only 1 more 12 hour night shift left and I can have 2 days of rest.
          I am just praying I feel at least somewhat OK when I wake up to go into work tonight.
          Working 12 hour nights is really getting hard for me and it scares me to death.
          DX 10/26/11

Comment

I was eventually on a much higher dose than you are now, and now I have a pump. I guess you just need to adjust to the dose, and then up the dosage. After talking to your dr. of course. I think I started out with 10 every 4 to 6 hours.

I now have the pump and don't have any of the side effects that I had from the oral baclofen.

I just keep the tablet on hand for breakthrough spasticity when I need it or if my pump would have a problem.

Also, before my pump, I was taking zanaflex at bedtime. Like you, when i would try to relax the spasms and twitches wer terrible and I couldn't rest.

But be careful if your dr. prescribes it for you. It really made me feel loopy. I had to take it and go right to bed.

If you are already sensitive to medicines you should probably start at a tiny dose.

Good Luck and hand in there.

Comment

When I was going through the same type thing in September, it was treated as an exacerbation. She had me go on iv steroids, which started relieving it pretty quickly. Not gone, but better. (I was also dx as hypothyroid and low vit d that same time. Felt pretty nasty all things considered.)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Working...
              X