Acthar gel anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acthar gel anyone??

My Dr. Wants to put me on Acthar gell. I have never heard of this, I would like to hear from others who have tried this or are on this. Thank you.
    Live Love Laugh

here is a good link:
    http://www.drugs.com/mtm/acthar-gel-h-p.html:

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Acthar Gel, H.P. (corticotropin)?

You should not use this medication if you have:

adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease);

scleroderma;

a fungal infection anywhere in your body;

herpes infection of the eyes;

osteoporosis;

past or present stomach ulcer;

congestive heart failure;

high blood pressure;

if you have recently had surgery; or

if you are allergic to pork proteins.

Corticotropin can worsen an infection you already have, or reactivate an infection you recently had. Before using this medication, tell your doctor about any illness or infection you have had within the past several weeks.

Other medical conditions you should tell your doctor about before using corticotropin include:

liver disease (such as cirrhosis);

kidney disease;

a thyroid disorder;

diabetes;

a history of tuberculosis;

a muscle disorder such as myasthenia gravis;

glaucoma or cataracts;

depression or mental illness; or

a stomach or intestinal disorder.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use corticotropin.
    FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether corticotropin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

Steroids can affect growth in children. Talk with your doctor if you think your child is not growing at a normal rate while using this medication.
    ~Living and Learning~
    ....Always check with your doctor, anything I post is based on my life experience

Comment

Athcar Gel is sometimes used instead of steriods when a relapse is really bad. (At least that is what I have observed through reading this board. If I am wrong, please correct me.) I do know for a fact that it is REALLY REALLY REALLY expensive and some insurance companies don't cover it. If you use the Search function (to the left of your screen name in the right corner of the toolbar) you can search for threads that deal specifically with Athcar Gel. There is tons of good information there!
      Rae Roy

Comment

Hi Angiee.

I consider Acthar my 'miracle drug'. I do not tolerate steroids well and Acthar has worked wonders for me. My neuro first prescribed this a couple years ago and I've had several doses since.

My email is in my profile if you want to contact me with specific questions, etc.

Wishing you the best.
        Merry

Comment

considering using it. my doc wants to do pulse therapy like is done with ivsm. he says it won't be as hard on my blood sugars/steroid induced diabetes as ivsm.

company sent edu material for me to review...we'll see
          "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Comment

Hi mibishe...did you ever end up trying the Acthar? I'm wondering if I should try it and would appreciate hearing more about your decision and experience.

Thanks,
            Lisa
            Warm Regards, Lisa

Comment

Working...
            X