Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the differences between Avonex and Rebif?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the differences between Avonex and Rebif?

My doctor has diagnosed me with MS recently and suggest to have MS drugs. He let me choose the drugs (Avonex/Rebif/Betaseron). I prefer to take Avonex, because only one shot a week. Is it really very very painful when injected in muscle? How's the feeling? Anyone can tell me what are the painful differences between Avonex & Rebif? Thanks in advance!

Hi Maggie,

I have no experience of pain with Rebif shots but I do know you can conquer fear of pain whether it involves Rebif or Avonex.

I used to give my wife Avonex shots but before doing so she would wrap an ice cube in a cloth and hold it on the injection area for a few minutes. That seemed to help diminish pain a great deal for her.

Many people self inject. Others have someone do it for them.

Maggie, you can do this. Keep repeating... "I can do this"... because it is true; you really can. Be strong and believe. I believe in you, Maggie.

Let us know how you are doing. Best to you.

Comment

Maggie,

it used to be a real pain to put a 1 1/4 inch needle into your leg/arm/hip, but with the new pen auto injector, it's not a long needle and not hard. I still ice beforehand, but most don't need to.

Rebif and Avonex are exactly the same medicine, except for quantity and method of delivery. While it may be true that Rebif is stronger (because it's many time the amount of medication), there isn't that much proof that it's really better. As they say, the one that you will take regularly is the best one. But bear in mind that the shot is not the most difficult part - it's how the medicine makes you feel, which is just terrible. They say Rebif is a little easier in this regard, but only because you're doing it 3x weekly and your body doesn't have such varying amounts of medicine in it. Also, if you have sensitive skin, there are virtually no site reactions with Avonex, whereas they are more common with Rebif and you have to keep track of and rotate your injection sites.

If you're leaning on Avonex then give it a try. You can always switch and even switch back. You will need the titration doses, which I don't think come in a pen. If this is the case, have your nurse do all of your first injections. They're really easy in the hip.

I'm on Avonex for 5 years and while I can't say I love it, I'm happy with it. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Comment

I actually found it less painful than Rebif. I'm not sure why that is, you'd think it would be more pain, but really, I hardly noticed it going in at all most days. For real, hardly noticed.

To be honest, I noticed very little pain with Rebif either, but definitely preferred the Avonex. Plus, if you get those flu-like side effects, it's once a week, not three!

If anything, I'd call it discomfort, not pain. Pinky swear.

You can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post

If anything, I'd call it discomfort, not pain. Pinky swear.

You can do this.
          Agree, Agree, don't agree. For me, it was just terrible headaches, body aches, muscle pain, etc. Not everyone get it, but I sure did. It did get better with time.

Comment

I don't have experience with Rebif but Avonex and I were partners for more than a year. I remember my first dose very well a nurse came to my house taught my husband and I everything we needed to know and I injected myself for the first time in my life. I actually was surprised it really didn't hurt more then a mosquitoe bite. Sometimes more or less then others most definitely not a horrible experience.

I have since advanced to an oral med and much prefer that but the first time is the hardest injection and it will surprise you how easy it becomes. Good luck. U can do this. We all can and will.

Comment

Maggie - were oral medications even a consideration?

Avonex/Rebif - Same medication, different dosing schedule, different injection method, different drug amounts, slightly different side effects.

For anyone on Avonex or Rebif they should start reading up on Plegridy. Plegridy should be approved soon (wake up, FDA) and be available shortly after that. Plegridy injections should be every two weeks, with benefits surpassing Avonex, more closely resembling Rebif. Plegridy is likely to reduce the market share of Avonex and Rebif like Copaxone-40 reduced the market share of Copaxonep20. There are more considerations than just dosing, but fewer injections always sounds nice.
              • Copaxone20 patients would take 328 fewer injections.
              • Betaseron patients would take 151 fewer injections.
              • Extavia patients would take 151 fewer injections.
              • Rebif patients would take 130 fewer injections.
              • Copaxone40 patients would take 130 fewer injections.
              • Avonex patients would take 26 fewer injections.

It really is exciting to have more and more choices on the market. I hope you do well on whatever choice you make.

Comment

Actually, I come from HK, the medication are suggested by the government doctor which I have no other choice. I must start one of these doses.

In addition, I am not sure whether they will provide me the new pen auto injector. Hope they can! I really scare to start with standard needle when I saw the video.

Thanks all of your replies.

Comment

Rebif

Hi Maggie

I will be starting Rebif the week of the 28th. I will be using the Auto-injector. It scares me just a little. I watched the video about 4 times and seriously it lessons my fear. I just can't wait to get startted on it so I really know what it's all about. Differerent strokes for different folks. I'll keep watching this thread because I'm not sure when you will be starting. Please let me know and I will do the same.

Here's to us.....CHEERS!
                  Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                  RRMS
                  Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

I won't use the packaged needle that comes with Avonex. It always causes bruising and it just seems unnecessarily big in diameter. I have a separate prescription for 1" 25 gauge needles. So much less trauma mentally and physically using these.

If I were starting Avonex now, I'm sure I'd ask for the autoinject. Everytime I order Avonex they ask me if I want to try the autoinject. I'm sure it should be no problem for you to get it.

You can always try one medication and switch to the other if it doesn't work out for you. I chose Avonex knowing that I could switch up to Rebif.

The positives of Avonex for me was weekly dosing, no or few site reactions, less chance of developing neutralizing antibodies. It took me a long time for my body to get used to the medication, and for me to figure out how to combat side effects. I'm here ten years later still injecting Avonex.

A friend of mine has done very well on Rebif. The more frequent dosing means the level of medication is more constant, and that can mean fewer side effects. I didn't want the subq injections, they seem more problematic in the long run for me.

Good luck with your decision!

Comment

Hi ALL,

Finally, I tried to start “Avonex (new pen auto injector)”, really it caused the side effects really very very terrible. I have six doses now, but keep on with headache, muscle aches, feeling tired. Besides, my blood test shows the liver enzyme is increasing.

Hope all these side effects gone away soon, otherwise I have to switch to other medications. Actually, I dislike to have 3 doses a week!!!

Thanks.

Comment

Did you switch from another med or is Avonex your first? First, I guess. The pen vs shot vs whatever, shouldn't make a difference; it's the same dose.

Yes, it's hell. "you may experience flu-like symptoms" doesn't quite spell it out, does it? It does get better. With me it took 3 years, but it still puts me to bed only 1/2 a day a week. Some people get used to it more quickly.

How to tell it's working: Nothing changes too much with the disease and you suffer through the weekly shot because you're never sure you're lucky, the meds are working, or the worst is yet to come.

Keep at it.

Comment

Working...
                        X