Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I NEED SOME HELP FIGURING THIS OUT...

Hi All,
    I'm a wife and Mother of three great kids who are all adults now. My story starts in 2004, I knew something was wrong and kept it from everyone. At the time I didn't have Life Insurance so I got a policy before I went to the Doc.

I had balance problems, my arms felt so heavy doing just normal things, blow drying my hair, brushing my teeth, cooking, it felt like they weighed a thousand pounds. Headaches all the time, and the fatigue was unbearable. I went to a Neurologist who started regular testing for MS,the MRI showed a brain tumor wrapped around the Optic Nerve. That explained the numbness around my eye and everyone scrambled to find the best Neuro Surgeon, I went to USC and found the best. I had the Craniotomy and it took forever to heal, we moved on, problems with sight continued, balance issues were still there, all of this I thought was due to brain surgery.

Fast forward to the present, symptoms have all gotten worse, and more of them. I ended up in the ER with terrible pain wrapping around from under the ribcage to my back. Docs thought it was Gall Bladder but no stones ever appeared, and pain would go away within 6 hours. i had an MRI, now it's spinal stenosis only one problem, that doesn't explain all of my symptoms. I have failed all balance tests and coordination, touching finger to nose and back to moving finger. I can't walk in a straight line and I can't stand with my feet together and shut my eyes, I fall immediately. Does this sound at all like MS, and do people with MS get cervical stenosis? I'm so tired of searching for answers, I go back to my Neuro surgeon and hopefully he will point me in the right direction.

Any advice, words of wisdom from anyone will be so appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi lisamarie and welcome to MSWorld

Anyone can have Stenosis.

Stenosis is not caused by MS. MS affects the spinal cord, is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) and not the vertebrae.

If a spine problem compresses or impringes on the nerves you will have Neurological symptoms. Anytime something affects nerves you will have neurological symptoms. There are also numerous conditions/illnesses/medications that can cause neurological symptoms.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

lisamarie,

This link will explain cervical stenosis and myelopathy.
      http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...sis-myelopathy
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

AS the other poster said, stenosis is a bone problem and doesn't have anything to do with MS. Symptoms don't tell what caused a problem because no matter what damages the nerves in a particular place the symptoms will be the same. So symptoms only tell you there's a problem but they can't tell exactly what the problem is.

Stenosis squeezing the nerves in your back can cause the pain your having under your ribs and in your back. The other things your noticing about your balance will have their own cause and the only way to know what that is is to have your neurologist examine you. All kinds of things can be causing them. It might be MS because MS is a neurological disease but it can some other neurological disease too. Some people have the same thing because they had a stroke or an injury to their head. Remember that the nerves don't know or care what hurt them they only know that they don't work and the symptoms will be exactly the same.

You might be tired of looking for answers but that's the only way to find out. And sometimes it takes a long time so you really have to practice being patient. You already found out that keeping quiet isn't the best thing to do. So I hope you see your neurologist and get some answers soon.

Comment

Hello and Welcome LisaMarie!
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

hopefully this helps

Hi Lisa, I had somewhat similar issues to you. I started not feeling right in 2007, which started as horrible muscle spasms which lead to dysfunctional left arm. After 4 years of tests I was rushed into emergency spine surgery for a herniated cervical disc, and the surgery helped pretty much all of my symptoms. But then about 6 months post-op, I developed new symptoms, new spasms, new weaknesses and tingling and blurred vision in my left eye. Dr's started performing tests and I thought it was all from my surgery, but found out 2 weeks ago that I have over 10 lesions on my brain and 99% sure of MS diagnosis. Had a lumbar puncture last week. Anyways, the point i'm trying to make is you could have multiple unrelated isssues going on that you may think are causing certain symptoms, just listen to your gut instinct. Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X