No announcement yet.

Pen user or naked-needle user?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on Avonex and have done 4 weeks of manual injections and 4 weeks with the autoinjector pen. From the very first pen injection, I was hooked. I don't like jabbing that long needle into my leg for manual injections, and I have more pain with those. The pen makes life so much easier. I'm new to injections, and that pen has really eased my injection anxiety to the point where I don't even dread injection day anymore.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

That is great to hear!

Needle fatigue is one of the toughest challenges for me and it really encourages me to see that you were able overcome this fatigue!

I kind of getting tired of auto-injection (even though it has the benefits mentioned) because of the uncertainty and "non-control" aspects...

Comment

Autoinjector

Spritebottle,

Thanks for starting this thread. It is like you read my mind. I have contemplated the manual route, but I am a chicken. Here's to courage.

Dx RMMS 2006, Betaseron user

Comment

Four years of using the auto injector, before I got the nerve up to try it manually.

Now, I always do it manually.

As many above have noted, you can do it much more "carefully" manually than with the auto injector.

The initial stick is much worse in your mind than it really feels when you do it. You'll be surprised that the needle stick really doesn't hurt.

Moving the needle left to right is what causes discomfort (pain), so be sure to hold the thing straight while you do a nice injection and then pull it out straight. Done like this, you'll not feel a thing.

Warning... if you have difficulty holding things steady, you're better off with the auto injector.
          Diagnosed October 2008 with Relapse Remitting MS (RRMS).

Comment

both

Manual most places,
            auto-inject in hard to reach places (back of arms)

Comment

Working...
            X