treatment for dizziness associated with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

treatment for dizziness associated with MS

My doctor wrote me a script for Scopolamine patch. I've never heard of this. I've yet to even find it on the Internet. and I'm sure it's just something else my insurance company isn't going to pay for or let me have. They deny everything else my doctors prescribe - all the DMD. It's insane they won't let us have what we need to have to get better or feel better! The doctor is as frustrated as I am.
    But have any of you used this patch?!

Emily - I found this from Medline. It say the patch is used used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Here is more information that you will want to know: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682509.html
    There is this too: http://www.medicinenet.com/scopolami...al/article.htm

I've never used it before, but wanted to help with more information. Hopefully, someone has used it and can help more. Good luck to you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Scopolamine was once used with anesthesia and when used in an aging person it often rendered them confused and disoriented for days. Safer meds are now used.

My doctor gave me the Epley exercise last week, by the time I decided to get the you Tube video (he told me to use the U-tube for it) my balance was OK again. I should probably do it in hopes it doesn't come back.

Good luck and sure hope you can post what helps. fed

Comment

I've used the Scopolamine patch before, but it wasn't for MS dizziness, it was for sea sickness. I used them when we went on a cruise, as I have had trouble with sea sickness in the past. Downside, if you happen to touch the patch and touch your eye, your vision will get blurry.

My neuro used to prescribe low dose of a benzo drug (Klonopin, etc.) for dizziness. Then I went to a Balance Center to have my balance issues evaluated and it turns out I had the positional vertigo, which really has nothing to do with MS (as I understand it)...lots of folks without MS get it too.

As FedUp mentioned, they taught me the Epley maneuver and it eliminated the positional vertigo for months. With Positional Vertigo, motion triggers Nystagmus, which in turn causes the vertigo . Now when it starts to return, I do the maneuver and it clears it up.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

Working...
        X