Prednisone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prednisone

Has anyone ever had to take a large amount of oral steroid pills over 2 days because it was the weekend and they couldn't get the iv soledrol?

It is certainly not normal. I am wondering if they will pick up with the IVSM when they come back on Monday? Or, will they follow up with the pills. If neither, you need to press them for the need for some follow up with only being on for two days. I hope you feel better soon, but don't let them get away with only two days for pills.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa! I have to take 45 pills tomorrow and 45 on Sunday which is the same dose as the iv.

Comment

Yikes!

45 Prednisone Pills???

I have had to do a prednisone taper where you start out with 4 10mg prednisone for four days, then 3 for 4 days, then 2 for 4 days and then 1 for 4 days.

Taking 4 at once really irritates my stomach, so I do wonder how you will tolerate 45. 45 of any kind of pills is a lot to deal with.

I'm not sure that is even safe! Good Luck!

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Wow, I have never heard of that. How did you make out? My neuro uses a 24 hour 7 day a week home nursing agency. I would ask your neuro if one is available in your area should you need it another time.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My neuro has prescribed me 1,000 mg of prednisone daily for 3 - 5 days, to be used just in case I get a flare when I am traveling someplace where i would be difficult to get IVSM.

At least the pharmacy dispensed 50 mg tablets so I had to take only 20 pills. I was much better after 3 days so that is all I took, no taper.

Comment

Wow again

I wonder how you can tolerate it? 20 pills at 50mg. would hurt my stomach. If I do a taper (which is rare) it makes my stomach burn just to take 40 mg.! So I'm pretty impressed.

Also with Prednisone you get weight gain and sleeplessness. That is typical of steroids. I would imagine you'd feel great with that much steroid though (if you don't get the side effects).

Good luck; keep us in the loop as to how you do!

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I did it all the time with Dexamethasone and a Prednisone taper.

I have only had an IV Steroid of Solumedrol once. When I had my old neuro in NC and had a flare up, this is what he would do for me:

He'd prescribe me 90 pills of Dexamethasone. I'd take 30 a day for 3 days. 10 in the am, 10 in the afternoon, and 10 and bedtime. Did that for 3 days.

Then he'd taper me off with Prednisone, 4 a day, 3 the next, 2, then 1, then 1/2 and that's all she wrote. It always worked great for me. I hated being forced to eat 3 times a day but it was worth it. My neuro here won't prescribe me Dex, although he gave me a shot a day for 2 days when I'd go in but nowhere near the dosing I was getting from my old neuro.

It doesn't matter anymore as I don't take steroids any longer. I am on Gilenya and it's not the smartest thing to mix with it, so I am going to have to hope I don't have a relapse because I will not take a steroid treatment. Gilenya has done wonders for me, so hopefully I will be okay for awhile. I was even advised by my Gyn and Pharmacy not to take Diflucan while on Gilenya when I thought I had a Y.i., turned out it didn't matter, it was just a stupid reaction to some stupid powder I had gotten so that worked out good.

Don't worry about the dosage, he wouldn't of prescribed it or made you wait if he'd of thought it wasn't in your best interest more than likely. I prefer the Dex anyway, always had good results with it, just hated taking 10, 3x a day. UGH! It did it's job and stay positive that the Pred will do it's job for you too Your neuro must think it will.

Take care and good luck

~Jenna
                RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
                Best MS Support System Ever
                7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Working...
                X