surgery with MS...issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surgery with MS...issues?

I may have to have a hysterectomy. I am concerned that there are issues related to the MS I don't even know enough about to ask. Anyone have any input?
    You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

It took me longer to recover from my anesthesia. I had issues for months with my short-term memory. Also, my pain meds did not work. I had to go back to the ER for different pain meds. Hopefully, you should be hospitalized after your surgery and they will be able to help with any pain issues. Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Comment

I had a hyst 6 years ago, and no issues related to my MS. I also had 3 operations within the last 2 years because of diverticulitis. I had complications (peritonitis) after my colon resection, then received a temporary colostomy. I don't "do" pain meds well (doesn't take much to knock me out, plus I wake up slowly from anesthesia) but I don't think that's related to having MS.

I would just suggest you try extra-hard to rest during your recuperation and make sure you have a lot of help. Anxiety and stress are not our friends!

Comment

I had no issues, but everyone is different.

I had an ovarian cyst removed as an emergency surgery. I was in great pain and when my GYN saw me and within an hour and a half I was headed through the OR doors st the local hospital for surgery with the anesthetic team behind me as they wheeled me through. I didn't even have time to think about MS or anything that would have to do with it, the surgery, and most of all; being put out.

Long story short, I came out of the anesthesia easily and quick (made an embarrassing gaff about the doctor because I was so dopey and goofy from it) but had no issues at all besides the normal "out of it" feeling that passed. I had the normal pain but it was nothing compared to what I had before the surgery itself. It was my first surgery and I had always told myself I'd never let anyone put me under(that was how I was even before MS days), but I didn't have much of a choice; and it worked out great.

Cyst removed, and MS stayed stable. I survived the surgery and all was good in the world Pain went away in time and MS never played in issue in any of it. It's true, keep your anxiety and stress levels low. Stay calm and relaxed and good luck with your surgery! I'm sending good thoughts your way!

~Jenna
        RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
        Best MS Support System Ever
        7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Working...
        X