Giving back to the ones we love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving back to the ones we love

When the people I care about help me I thank them and am very grateful. But I wish I could do more. The money is running out and my ability to do things is limited to walking from my bed to the bathroom.

I used to do mending but my hands shake. It's hard not to feel worthless when I am. My stove broke so cooking is not something I can do. So what have others done? My ex husband just gave me an iPad that he won at a raffle. Then he took my car in for service and rode his bike home. All I can do is bless him for being such a wonderful person.

Feeling guilty and worthless are not constructive feelings and they don't help anyone.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I totally understand where you're coming from. But the folks who are helping are doing it as an act of kindness and just knowing they're helping you, is reward enough from them, I'm sure.

If you wanted to make the "thank you" special...you could go on etsy.com Type hand made thank you cards into the search bar, and you'll come up with dozens of folks who make and sell their cards on the site. Obviously some are more expensive than others, but not anymore expensive than a thank you card you'd get at Hallmark, some comes in packs of ten making them around $1.50, and a lot more thoughtful. If that's out of your budget, get a box of stationary and write a thank you note to mail. I know I never expect a thank you card, but I do appreciate it when someone takes the time to send one.

I use Amazon sometimes to send an email gift card and say "Thank you and treat yourself to a movie rental." Rentals on Amazon are $3.99...so I send the gift certificate for that amount. Depending on your budget, other low cost email gift cards (so easy to send an email card...but you can have the regular gift cards delivered if you want) are places like Starbucks (you can buy a $5.00 card) or iTunes, if it's a younger person...all can be done by email.

It just depends on how much you can afford to spend, and IMO a card is just as thoughtful as a gift certificate.

If it's a big thank you gift, and I want to spend more, I go to caseyscookies.org....absolutely the best cookies in the world. They're individually wrapped cookies, it's run by a non profit and they include that info with the cookies so they know you're helping a good cause. But they are more costly than other gifts, I think they run about $15 a dozen.

You are blessed that you have helpers...and I'm sure you are a blessing to them, as well, thank you gift, or not.

Comment

I'm also a fan of a handwritten thank you note.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

So far I've taken your advice and sent him a handwritten note from my new iPad. He loves it when I try to learn technical things because I was computer phobic for so many years.

I'll send a handwritten note to thank you for your advice.

Comment

In my case, I type letters/notes to people thanking them for their kindness. They tell me letter writing is a lost art so they like getting them. Even though my writing isn't always legible (I have to type instead) I just want to send them a note to let them know that I appreciate them and they're in my thoughts. A kind gesture doesn't have to be expensive. I like using emails and texts too just to let someone know I am thinking of them. It may sound naïve, but I think what it comes down to is letting someone know I appreciate them, and not just for what they do for me, but for being part of my life. Spending time with people and listening to what is going on in their lives is a nice thing too. You never know sometimes when a person just needs to take a break, sit down and talk, whether its about something important or just to have someone to have a good laugh with.

Comment

Working...
          X