MS and Spinal Syrinx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Spinal Syrinx

Just Diagnosed with spinal syrnix and was told may be causing MS symptoms. Any one else had similar Problems?

It sounds like somebody didn't tell you quite the right thing or you didn't understand it quite the right way. There isn't such a thing as "MS symptoms" because there aren't any symptoms that are unique to MS. There are "neurological" symptoms that can be caused by all kinds of conditions. It doesn't matter whether the symptoms come from a disease or a physical condition or trauma or poisoning or whatever. Whatever causes a problem in a particular place in the nervous system the symptoms will be the same. It isn't possible to tell just from symptoms alone what problem is causing them.

A syrinx causes neurological symptoms that might be the same symptoms caused by MS or something else. So its definitely possible to have neurological symptoms from a syrinx but they aren't "MS symptoms" because they aren't being caused by MS.

Its important to keep the terminology and the ideas straight or else it will be too easy to get diseases and conditions confused and then hard to understand why what applies to one thing doesn't apply to the other. In this case a syrinx isn't related to MS. The only thing they have in common is that they can cause the same kinds of general neurological symptoms.

Comment

Bubble-Welcome to MSWorld. I understood your question, but I personally never heard of a syrinx, and so I looked it up. Yes, I believe that indeed it could be causing symptoms comparable to symptoms of MS. But I am not a doctor.

You really need to discuss this with your doctor. When patients go in with typical symptoms of MS, then the neuro starts doing a whole bunch of tests. This is because there are a plethora of diseases out there that mimic MS. It sounds like they found something that is doing that. Write down all your concerns and questions and ask your doc next time you see them.

Good Luck to You.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X