No announcement yet.

My Mom...MS AND now CANCER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 50. Dx when I was 47 but neuro thinks I've had MS for at least 20 yrs. been on beta since dx but now having really bad side effects from it. I take my shot at night before bed but in the am I feel like a truck hit me and have no energy to do anything at all plus I have a lot of pain in my legs and that just seems to make it flare, so basically I feel bad for 178 days of the year.

Thx for your response !
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

[QUOTE=Nay91400;1416438]HELLO EVERYONE,

I WAS VERY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE BACK IN 2011 WHEN I WAS NEWLY DIAGNOSED. I AM EXTREMELY LUCKY IN THAT I HAVE LITTLE TO NO SYMPTOMS, MY MS WAS CAUGHT VERY EARLY AND I WAS IMMEDIATELY PUT ON COPAXONE.

MY MOTHER WAS NOT SO LUCKY. SHE HAS HAD RRMS FOR MANY YEARS, WAS DIAGNOSED MAYBE 10 YEARS AGO BUT HAS HAD IT FOR MUCH LONGER. SHE IS GETTING PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. SHE SUFFERS FROM SEVERE FOOT DROP, SHE CAN BARELY LIFT EITHER OF HER FEET. THIS IS THE WORST OF HER SYMPTOMS AT THE MOMENT BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHERS.

I MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTRY A YEAR AGO. IT WAS A HARD DECISION, BUT I DID IT FOR ME (I MOVED WITH MY LONG TERM BOYFRIEND.) I KNEW OF I DIDN'T DO IT I WOULD REGRET IT. I AM 27, HE IS 29. I KNEW IF I DIDN'T DO THIS WHILE I WAS STILL YOUNG, I WOULD REGRET IT. BUT STILL, I FEEL VERY GUILTY FOR LEAVING HER. SHE MISSES ME, OF COURSE. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO VISIT 3 TIMES SINCE THE MOVE IN APRIL, 2012.

SHE HAS BEEN HAVING ISSUES WITH HER BETASERON SO SHE WAS SENT FOR MRIS. LONG STORY SHORT...SHE WAS TOLD THAT IT LOOKS LIKE SHE HAS LIVER CANCER. THREE GROWTHS, 1 LARGE, 2 SMALL. APPARENTLY THIS WAS ON HER FALL MRI BUT HER NEUROLOGIST NEVER DID ANYTHING WITH IT. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A TOP DOC...

I DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION YET BUT I AM TERRIFIED. I HIDE IT FROM HER BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO STRESS HER OUT FURTHER. ODDS ARE THE CANCER CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE...ONLY FURTHER TESTING WILL TELL US WHERE, WHAT STAGE...I JUST KNOW EVEN IF ITS TREATABLE THE TREATMENTS WILL ONLY MAKE HER WEAKER. I AM NOT IN THE POSITION TO MOVE BACK...I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. ANY COMFORTING WORDS FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS DEALT WITH MS AND CANCER, OR THE GUILT OF LEAVING A SICK PARENT, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK.

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING.[/

I am so sorry about your Mother. I truly hope that things turn out well for her.

You need to stop feeling guilty about moving on with your life. No parent wants to be their child's "mission". You did exactly what was suppose to happen. That is what kids do, they grow up, they move out and you hope that they become good citizens, do the right things in life, and are happy because apples truly don't fall too far from the tree.

Sounds to me like you have done the right thing...and your mom would want to continue on doing what you are doing. Call her more and visit her more often if you can.

Wishing you the best!
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you so much, Katie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay91400 View Post
          That is quite a story aitch. I am sorry to hear that. But thank you for the advice...that is kind of how I felt when I left as bad as the guilt was. Its so hard...normally by the time people have ill parents, they are elderly and the child has already established their lives, started a family, etc. Its so different when you're only starting all of that and your parent needs you NOW. I truly wish I could be in two places at once.
          Exactly. What I always told myself was that my mom would age before her time. And that's true, it's just that I've aged before my time too.

I mean, I'm still young, have a young family and am super active, I've just got this sucky MS cloud hanging over my head.

But again, you need to do your thing. It'll be best for you AND your mom in the long run.
          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I hope so Aitch...I really do. I hope everything works out. Will know a bit more tomorrow once she sees the oncologist. So nerve racking.

Comment

This doctor has had remarkable success treating advanced liver cancer patients and I'd recommend watching his lecture:

Dr. Burt Berkson Presentation on LDN and Alpha Lipoic Acid Therapy for Cancer & Autoimmune Disease

http://glasgowldn2009.com/2009/04/ld...erence-video3/

Comment

Working...
              X