No announcement yet.

Did they work for you? Acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much for your reply, Shashi. I am really looking forward to seeing if these work for me.

Comment

I started these about 3 weeks ago after reading this thread and WOW! Big difference! I felt the difference the first day! I started out taking 500/150 and after a week went to 1000/300. I can't believe the difference in my energy level and in my outlook! Thanks for starting this thread!

Comment

I started on 1000mg alc and 200 mg ala. Been two weeks now. I don't know if my fatigue is from the MS or my baclofen. Now I'm wondering if the supplements will even help, given that my fatigue might be drug-related. Worth a shot - hope they kick in!

Comment

Can't wait to go get some and try. I have been "blue" about the fatigue. My family (adult children) just don't understand. I hate this fatigue feeling. Just trying to keep going so I can work. Doesn't leave anything left over for fun time. Let you know in a couple of weeks how it works for me.
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

duty?

I am quite interested to try these. Any little boost to my energy level would be great!

Has any one in Canada (Ontario) ordered these from the states? what is the duty charges on them like?
            I hate ordering things and not knowing what its going to cost me util it arrives at the door!

thanks

Comment

I want the "WOW"!

I've been taking ALA 300 mg & ALC 500 mg (for over a month)& unfortunately, I'm seeing no difference. I just bought some more last night so I'm going to increase the ALC to 1000 mg. I'm crossing my fingers that the increase will make the difference. Wish me luck!

Comment

I just had the weirdest thing happen! I was reading this thread, and suddenly on TV there was a commercial for a product called Juvenon that combines ALA and ALC and was talking about how they rejuvenate your youth and energy. Talk about a coincidence!!

(I think it's called synchronicity when something happens like that. I've had this occurring three and four times a day lately. I'll be reading and someone on TV, radio, or that I'm talking to will say the exact uncommon word that I'm reading right at that same time that I'm reading it. How odd!)
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by CocoH View Post
                  I've been taking ALA 300 mg & ALC 500 mg (for over a month)& unfortunately, I'm seeing no difference. I just bought some more last night so I'm going to increase the ALC to 1000 mg. I'm crossing my fingers that the increase will make the difference. Wish me luck!
                  I'm sorry you're not seeing any results yet, CocoH. It's odd how they work in some people and not in others. Hopefully increasing your dosage will help.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                    I just had the weirdest thing happen! I was reading this thread, and suddenly on TV there was a commercial for a product called Juvenon that combines ALA and ALC and was talking about how they rejuvenate your youth and energy. Talk about a coincidence!!

(I think it's called synchronicity when something happens like that. I've had this occurring three and four times a day lately. I'll be reading and someone on TV, radio, or that I'm talking to will say the exact uncommon word that I'm reading right at that same time that I'm reading it. How odd!)
                    Tthat happens to me, this last time it happened was on Friday the 13th. I was reading and the character said that day of the character's life was Friday the 13th.

I thought that was funny how you mentioned it.

Comment

This post is for those of you who did not get good results using ALA and ALC.

It occurred to me as I was posting a reply to someone who was suffering from fatigue that the dosage of ALC used in the clinical trials was 1,000 mg twice daily. I am only taking 1,000 mg once a day and have had great results, so that's all I have tried. But some folks might need more than the amount that I am taking, as in the study almost every person with MS who took ALC benefited from it, not just some of them. (Only one out of the 36 subjects had to drop out of the study due to adverse effects.)

So, you might try increasing your dosage of ALC and see how you do. (Again, check with your doctor before doing this, especially if you have thyroid problems or diabetes!)

Here is the link to the university study so you can see what the study results were at the dosage I mentioned above:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14759641

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa

Comment

so I did some cross border shopping this past weekend and picked up Acetyl L-carnitine (100mg) & alpha lipoic acid (200mg) 2 seperate capsules

however, how/when do you take them?
                        Knowing I could have gotten these combined in 1 caspule is making me question the directions on the ones I bought.
                        One says take with food, the other says take on an empty stomach. so what do you do?

Comment

I think it's working

I increased my ALC from 500 mg to 1000 (ALA at 300mg) last week & now I think I'm feeling a difference! Yeah!

Comment

Hi CocoH

Good for you! Hope you get the "wow" you've been looking for

PS. I take 300mg ALA and 1000mg ALC. I was one of the lucky ones to feel the benefit on the first day I took them.

Take care,
                            KoKo
                            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by elmo2010 View Post
                              so I did some cross border shopping this past weekend and picked up Acetyl L-carnitine (100mg) & alpha lipoic acid (200mg) 2 seperate capsules

however, how/when do you take them?
                              Knowing I could have gotten these combined in 1 caspule is making me question the directions on the ones I bought.
                              One says take with food, the other says take on an empty stomach. so what do you do?
                              Elmo, you would need to take them when you first get up in the morning. I take mine with a bit of applesauce, then wait about 20 minutes before I eat breakfast (but that's more to do with another med I take than the ALC/ALA.)

Is the ALC you bought 100 mg or 1,000 mg? The theraputic dosage for fatigue in MS is around 1,000 to 2,000 mg of ALC, so I hope you got a strong enough dosage for it to be helpful.

Let us know how you do.

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Is the ALC you bought 100 mg or 1,000 mg?

I have the 1,000 mg so i'm good to go.
                                thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X