Botox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox?

Has anyone been given botox injections for spasticity? I go in Monday to try this and am very interested in knowing how it has helped others...
    I take Baclofen, but the muscles in my legs are still horribly stiff. If I take too much of it I get dizzy and light headed.
    I look forward to hearing your comments!
    Brooke

No answers

Hi,

It's funny, but I asked for the same feedback on a different forum here, and I didn't get any answers either. Maybe this is a fairly new treatment that not many people have tried? Good luck anyways. I get to try it soon as well

Comment

I have done Botox on and off the last couple years. It did help with the spasticity, I was in PT also and they stressed how I was to stretch and strengthen the muscles I was getting Botox.

I have a pump also and in July when I was suppose to get my Botox I had a increase in my pump and we decided it wasn't in my best interest to do both

Comment

Originally posted by 19447BW View Post
        Has anyone been given botox injections for spasticity? I go in Monday to try this and am very interested in knowing how it has helped others...
        I take Baclofen, but the muscles in my legs are still horribly stiff. If I take too much of it I get dizzy and light headed.
        I look forward to hearing your comments!

For patients with chronic spasticity we have a few options:
        1) Oral medications most commonly Baclofen or Tizanidine are generally the first medication used to treat spasticity. If these do not work a doctor may try Soma, Valium, Clonazepam, Dantrium, Clonidine or a handful of other drug classes.

2) Botox and nerve block injections are used to treat specific areas/muscles. For example, Botox is more frequently being used for bladder spasticity issues. Botox is reinjected approximately every 3 months to maintain its effectiveness. Phenol is used as part of a nerve block procedure destroying cells to minimize spasticity in a given area. Doctors will often perform temporary nerve block medications to determine probably effectiveness before using Phenol to destroy cells. Again, Phenol is best used on a specific area of the body and not widespread spasticity

3) Baclofen pump. While you might think the oral medication and the pump are using the same medication the results are often significantly different. For most patients, oral Baclofen has more side effects and fewer benefits than the Baclofen pump. The pump is more effective than other options with widespread spasticity impacting both flexor and extensor muscles. For example, if both your hamstrings and quadriceps are spastic most doctors don't want to inject both the front and back of your legs due to adverse reactions (significant leg weakness).

Prior to getting a pump installed they will do a trial injection via lumbar puncture procedure. They will then monitor your benefits over a few hours and determine if you are a good or bad candidate for the pump. The pump reservoir is normally refilled every 3-4 months, but will vary base on the medication dose and the reservoir size. There are two reservoir sizes on being twice the capacity of the other.

4) Alternatives to medications. Massage, physical therapy, stretching, exercise, acupuncture, naturopath etc.

5) Surgery like rhizotomy can be considered, but please try as many other treatments as possible before resorting to orthosurgery.

I hope you find the best solution for your spasticity. The botox should provide some level of relief in the specific area injected. Spasticity improvements in other areas should not be expected. If you do well with the Botox it is certainly less invasive than a pump or other surgical option. If the Botox does not successfully meet your needs then consider another option.

Remember that muscle atrophy is one of our major enemies and you need to frequently exercise to fend it off. None of the spasticity treatments will increase your muscle mass, in fact, several of the treatments have weakness as a side effect. Please request a PT consult from your doctor and ask them for stretches & exercises tailored to your specific needs. If your insurance will pay for PT treatments (not just a consult) I would encourage you to explore those options as well.

Please let us know how the Botox goes and how you are doing. Thanks ...

Comment

Working...
        X