No announcement yet.

Cannabis Education: 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to bump this up in the hopes that someone who knows the answer might see it and answer my previous question. Thanks.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

There's no uniformity to state MMJ laws, so the safest thing to do is to research the state(s) you can get to. Just google the state name with "mmj law" and you should find what you need to know.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

states with mmj laws

Hi-

I know WA, OR, CA, CO, and several back east.

In Oregon you must have an md sign application forms (each year); the application (each year) is about $140. You either have to grow it yourself (an additional $50), or find a grower.

The State recommends that the grower provide you with one ounce a month (free) because he/she/they can grow six plants for you. They can sell the amount you don't use to a dispensary.

Dispensaries are highly regulated--down to inspection of the product. Usually a gram is $10. Other forms (capsules, tincture, Rick Simpson oil, etc. are much more).

I make my own tincture. It works well. I have terrible insomnia. Cannabis does not put me to sleep, but since I take it orally it helps me get longer sleep once I get to sleep.

And I probably wrote all this before on the thread and I just don't remember.

Pat

Comment

Hi J-Bo, I'm so sorry to hear you are in one of the states that hasn't recognized the validity of medical marijuana.

I have been using medical Marijauna for a year now. It has been the single most effective medicine in my medicine regime since being diagnosed. It reduces my tremors so much that I forget they were even as much of a problem that they were! I have reduced my baclofen by 50%, my zoplicone by the same and my topomax from 125mg to 75mg. All this from taking 4-5 drops of a pure indica tincture before bed every night. And, if I'm having an MS symptom flare, pain stiffness etc, I will vaporize a special indica bud. But with the tincture nightly, that is only a few times a month.

I'm in Canada and although, our laws are so very far from perfect in this regard and in need of changing, I at least have no fear of arrest or conviction. If I were arrested for MJ, with the amounts I use etc and my condition, there would be such a public outcry, no official would want to take that on here. At least I don't think so..

I sure hope you can give this a try, like every other medicine we use, efficacy is individual and it takes a trial and error period to figure out what works for you. But it's worth the work.

All the best, keep us posted on your journey ok?

Comment

Hi Pat, with regard to canabis and sleep, I find the same thing. It doesn't get me to sleep, but once I'm sleeping, I stay asleep too. I guess that's why I was able to cut my 7.5 zoplicone in half, it puts me to sleep, then the canabis keeps me asleep when the zoplicone wears off. I have such great relaxed sleeps and wake up feeling calm and refreshed.

Comment

Thanks to all who answered. The problem, as I see it, is getting a doctor in a MMJ-legal state to prescribe for a person who lives in a MMJ-illegal state. I'm just thinking that most doctors would be reluctant to do it. And are they even allowed to do that?
              PPMS
              Dx 07/13

Comment

Well J-Bo, if you're traveling to another state and need a prescription of any kind, is a doctor allowed to prescribe it? I know in Canada, if I land in another provinces hospital I can get a prescription, or if your visiting here you can get a prescription. And in Canada medical Marijauna is a prescription. How about googling the state your considering and checking out their prescription restrictions and MJ laws?

Comment

How about googling the state your considering and checking out their prescription restrictions and MJ laws?
                  I took your advice, and it doesn't look promising. The closest legal states to me are Delaware and Maryland. DE requires residency, and MD hasn't finalized their regulations yet, but the proposal also includes a residency requirement. The rest of the legal states are not a practical distance for regular refills.

And of course Canada is out even if they don't require residency because of that pesky border crossing. The American border guards always scare me, even though I've never been doing anything wrong.

Guess I'll just have to wait. There is a bill in play here, but the current governor would never sign it. He looks unlikely to win this November, but I don't know the position of his challenger. I'll see if I can find that out.
                  PPMS
                  Dx 07/13

Comment

Gee J-Bo, I'm so sorry, we really need to see Marijauna legalized period and all of the myths and misconceptions dispelled for this very reason! You should have access to something that will help you feel better and I believe actually reduces our inflammation and makes us healthier.

All the best to you, I hope things change soon for you and everyone who needs it.

Comment

Yeah, let's hope this country finally comes to its senses some day soon. In the meantime, I'll just have to wait because I know for sure that there's something even worse than having MS...having MS and being in prison.
                      PPMS
                      Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
                        Yeah, let's hope this country finally comes to its senses some day soon. In the meantime, I'll just have to wait because I know for sure that there's something even worse than having MS...having MS and being in prison.
                        What an understatement:

Sorry, haven't been around...life got busy.

J-Bo: there are ways around the 'Residency' requirement here in California; people can go to the Calif DMV and put in for a citizen's Identification...just be sure you can receive mail to the private PO Box, you rent. Anyway, where there is a will there is a way.

However, there are more legit ways to get this medication. Right now, I am beginning to think we may be able to get our needed mmj meds without a doc. This guy makes this tincture that is high CBD..his website is grandpa tom's (tincture-I think), google it.

Grandpa Tom is in So. Calif and he was a AIDS patient and now they can't even confirm or deny his was HIV positive, as of recent. Acquired auto-immune disease isn't that far from auto-immune!

The chemical analysis is on the web-site and I believe that anything less than 2% THC is not considered marijuana...it is the CBD's (enndocannabinoids) most of us are looking for anyway, that is what our body has natural receptors for.

I've recently tried the newest CBD tincture of Tom's and I have emailed him for a meet for lunch..to discuss this matter. I believe it will open up an entirely new avenue to most of us with M.S....
                        to get treatment without the side-effects of being 'high,' which is all I desire. Especailly, during the day.

Recently, I tried some autoflower strain of Cannabis and it was a low THC high CBD strain, seeds not available yet, on the market..but, I was fortunate to get a sample to test from Afterthought Autos and the new Hobbit strains are going to be killer...MS meds, when available.

The autoflowers are bred with ruderalis and the CBD's seem to be higher. I have an email addy attached in my profile, I think, if anyone desires any more information--the kind we can't post.

I expect big things to come with medicinal cannabis.
                        Yesterday I read a post somewhere of Mary's Medicinal's in Colorado and Washington--both legal recreational users; They have a "patch" for 24 hours and it is low THC, as well and a guy posted of his relief with it and complaint of the cost....

Many caregivers will 'volunteer' to treat, at least one patient pro-bono, often. But, you have to have legal mmj laws. 23 states have legalized MMJ laws (2 of which is simply legalization).

I like my symptoms gone, I am able to do more without those anchors of pain/discomfort. But, the smoked buds tend to mess with my balance issues, which are gone--for the most part.

The high CBD buds are much preferred and probably what we would all desire.

The autoflowers are strains that grow within a shorter period of time and a certain period, with ease for a new grower or a 'quick' grow for a medical user.

There are so many products "Coming" on the market, I say try them all and report it here---share the knowledge and we'll all do better.

With the chemical analysis of the products, we can choose better and do better. I'll try to find out as much as I can in regards to the less than 2% THC, regulations...if anyone else knows, please drop in.

Hopefully, the CBD tinctures won't need a doctors recommendation to take or use.

Many studies with mmj/CBD's are in the works, also. Just keep doing the research.

I much prefer my coffee/Latte with the ground bud in it; I don't get the high and it really gets me going, when I need it. Plus, I took a holiday recently--from mmj and now, I feel like my enndocannabinoid system is lacking, therefore, I am more symptomatic--so, trying to get my body stabilized with the CBD's, again.

The day we can get a CBD/low THC pill...I am on that wagon, forever! The highs become rather irritating when wanting to simply be a little more norml and function better.

I am so anxious for all the new products to start rolling off the shelves in the entire world! with 23 states having mmj laws, it is only a matter of time for the nation to get real. fed

Comment

Hi fed up, and thanks so much for all the info. What you said gives me hope. I would settle for just having my pain controlled. If there are other benefits, that would be wonderful! Do you have nerve pain, and if so, did you find that the tincture helped with that?

Oh, another thing I wonder from reading your post: what about these tinctures and drug tests? I have no idea what chemical they are looking for--do you happen to know if consuming something with low THC would still show up as MJ? Like you, I'd rather not have the high, just the relief, but try explaining that to an employer who already has no respect for your privacy.

Thanks again! I will definitely check into the resources you've included.
                          PPMS
                          Dx 07/13

Comment

Hi J-Bo; I am sorry but, I know very little about drug testing and it is my understanding, even that will be changing. Because the thc remains and is 'stored' in the body for long periods of time, even if you haven't used any for weeks...tests to measure 'nanos' are being developed.

Employer drug testing simply tests for the 'presence' of drugs; what would be interesting to find out is, if the less than 2% THC would create a positive drug test?

CBD's, CBN's, Terpenes and flavenoids are what our bodies actual utilize.

Yes, I have nerve pain, the pharmacy prescriptions my docs give me put me in a state of relaxing the pain as slow as a snail and painful to a point that it works into comfort and less pain, then the pain re-starts. The pure cannabis oil (called Rick Simpson Oil or simply RSO) was best for nerve pain. I don't expect that to become legal, since the U.S. Gov't has the patents on the medicinal parts of the plant.

The tinctures work best taken daily and over time. I have tried Grandpa Tom's and gave my bottle to someone I thought needed it more than me. I'll get more and report my results.
                            Fed Up

Comment

Yes, please post if you do get more! I really appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge.

And I've read too that MJ stays in your system and you can test positive for weeks...nobody seems to know for sure how long. And here's a real irony: I mostly can't risk it because I go to a pain management doc and get tested once a month. Can't try something that doesn't even make me high because it's so much better to be on schedule 1 drugs.
                              PPMS
                              Dx 07/13

Comment

J-Bo; sorry to say no one knows for sure when it is out of your system. Pain clinic requires testing and any trace of the thc will generate a 'warning' for most pain clinics. A second time and ouch! fed

Comment

Working...
                                X