Copax 1st Shot without training??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copax 1st Shot without training??

I am due to get my first shipment today, and the nurse called last night but can't see me today and I leave for a business trip early in the morning, won't be back until next Friday....

So, I have read everything, have a site tracker sheet, etc. I told her I was thinking of doing the 1st shot tonight without training, she was a little concerned, but after I talked to her she seemed comfortable.

Anyone else ever do this, or any words of advice...
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

My first shipment came a couple of days before the nurse. I read the directions for the autoject, finally got the syringe out of the package (tried the wrong end), pinched up a "fat" place (from the list of appropriate sites), and hit the button. No problem at all.

I do the "Copaxorena." Thigh, thigh, hip, arm, arm, hip, tummy. It's easier to associate a particular location with a day of the week so less need to keep track.

Comment

I'm sure you will be fine, just don't be freaked out if the shot feels like 100 BEES just stung you!!! good thing is, is that it only lasts about 20 min or so... I no long take the Copax shot due to site reaction. So just be prepared for the unexpected.

Comment

I didn't have anyone come out, but I was a nurse, so it was no biggie.

Its not difficult, if you watch the training videos (does Copax send those like Rebif?) I would think you would be okay. Or, I'm sure you know someone with medical training, maybe ask a friend?

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback, I feel so much better about doing this on my own now!!
          Ampyra 10mg 2xday
          Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I just started Betaseron and after watching a couple of Utube videos felt comfortable doing it myself.

Comment

Coxpaxone

The best thing that works for me is to take a warm shower or bath and inject right after i get out, skin being warmed helps with the stinging sensation after injection. i've been on it since april 2011 and no flare ups and feeling great.

Comment

I DID IT!!

Thanks all. I went for it and did the 1st shot without training! Manual injection, the AutoInject seems to complicated at this time.

A bit of a sting afterwards, but only lasted about 5-10 mins.

Officially starting Copaxone today.
                Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
                  Thanks all. I went for it and did the 1st shot without training! Manual injection, the AutoInject seems to complicated at this time.

A bit of a sting afterwards, but only lasted about 5-10 mins.

Officially starting Copaxone today.
                  Way to go!

I don't know if I would've had the guts (), but I think you were smart to stick to manual for now. If I hadn't been walked through the auto I'm sure I would have wasted my 1st shot...
                  1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                  NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Congratulations, jbell! As long as you did your homework, you should do fine with Copaxone injections without training.

After Avonex, I did sub-Q injections of Copaxone, Rebif and methotrexate without any training. (Truth be told, I could have done the intramuscular Avonex injections without training, too, but I have a medical background and confidence that most people don't have...)

With a different med, I wouldn't have recommended that you inject without training, but Copaxone is relatively innocuous. I'm so glad you did OK on your own. Don't forget that you can always get instruction from a Copaxone nurse later, especially for those injection areas that you can't easily reach on your own and might benefit from the autoinjector/autoinflictor (thank you, MrsBones ).

Comment

Just saw you took the first shot! So proud of ya, big hugs coming your way

Shared Solutions has a really good video of the auto inject method on their website. Just be sure to keep track of where you do shots until the nurse comes out. They give you a nice planner for notes and tracking shots. I have found it great to use for anything going on that day, will just take it with me to my doctor appointments.

Good luck!

Jen

Comment

6 Days In...

Did my 6th shot this morning, all of them manual. I had to go out of town on business the 2nd day, so got to try out TSA procedures, etc.

All went well, the only shot that didn't do as well was the thigh as I have a less 'padding' there...

The hip shot was awkward and the needle came out so I had to stick myself 2 time on that one, will use AutoJect for that after training.

Thanks for everyones support!!
                        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

throw the autoject away.........................and good job.

j
                          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

100 bee stings..? Really?
                            "Tona Naze"
                            Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

autoinject worthless

Hey Jbell ... I find the auto-inject not worth the time, can be done and over with using just the needle in third amount of the time. Just remember to inject needle at a 45 degree angle in a fatty area of arm, thigh or abdomen. The reason for the 45 degree angle is so it won't go so deep as the hit muscles, you will be hurting for a good half hour after shot if you hit muscle tissue. A very knowledgeable lady posted a self-video on Youtube showing the most proper way to self inject via needle. Look up "Manually Injecting Copaxone - Left Arm" on Youtube by someone named Zimmerman. Be safe, Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X