RPC 1063 safer than Gilenya is recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPC 1063 safer than Gilenya is recruiting

RPC 1063, a highly effective form of Gilenya with less serious side effects is recruiting for a larger Phase 3 trial.

The oral medicine is called RPC1063 by the company developing it, Receptos, Inc.

MS CONNECTION newsletter has an article stating that Dr. Robert Fox from Cleveland Clinic is the national principle investigator. This Phase 3 trial will recruit 1,410 people with RRMS at 28 sites nationwide.

Medpage 9/14/14 article titled: Novel MS Tx Appears Free of Cardiac Side Effectshttp://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC.../ECTRIMS/47647

Quotes from the article:

“BOSTON -- An investigational oral drug for multiple sclerosis (MS) with the same mechanism as the approved product fingolimod (Gilenya) was highly effective in a phase II trial with seemingly fewer side effects than the earlier drug, researchers said here.”

“Mean gadolinium-enhancing lesion counts were lowered by more than 90%”

“But perhaps most important was that the drug appeared to have almost no effect on cardiac function. Fingolimod, by contrast, slows the heart rate significantly with the first dose”

“Rates of other adverse effects potentially related to the drug were also low.”

“Fingolimod (Gilenya) is one of the most potent drugs now available for MS, but its adverse effects have been a major clinical concern and, for most clinicians, it is usually reserved for patients with inadequate responses to safer agents.

Consequently, an oral drug with similar efficacy lacking its adverse effects could easily become everyone's favorite first-line treatment for MS.” End Quotes.

This trial will be of great interest to many MSers. A highly effective oral med with a very good safety profile is quite appealing. The Phase2/3 results presented at Boston last week were excellent.

Contact info for the trial is in the MS Connection newsletter.

Thank you for posting this.

A safer and more effective Gilenya version would certainly be welcomed into the marketplace. Several drug companies were in a hurry to bring the first oral medication to the MS market. Gilenya "won" the race, but the medication does have long-term health risks that Aubagio and Tecfidera do not have. I hope Gilenya 2.0 pans out and the original version is discontinued. Better efficacy and lower side effects is a win-win for MS patients. That's exactly why Tecfidera is surging in marketshare.

We will soon have newer versions or dosing plans for Copaxone (Copaxone-20), Aubagio/Rebif (Plegridy) and Gilenya (Gilenya 2.0). Amazing what changes market pressure can have on our medication options.

Comment

Not sure about the better efficacy report doesn't seem to say that but the safer sure is nice.

I've been on Gileyna since trials and don't have any issues with it, but it appears I am in the minority. I would love for more people to have access to the ease and effectiveness of Gileyna.
      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

RPC1063 VS GILENYA VS SIPONIMOD

I was on Gilenya for three to four glorious months. The most uneventful medicine I've been on.
        It worked no relapses though I was only on it a short time. I had more energy and walked a lot more.
        Now the only side effect I had from the Gilenya was it lowered my WBC count 1.93. I didn't have any infections.
        My lymphocyte counts were also too low.
        My hope is the RPC1063 and siponimod will not lower my white counts too low. This is an exciting new class of ms meds that have great potential.

Comment

Working...
        X