2014 Summary for only FDA-approved DMTs in MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Summary for only FDA-approved DMTs in MS

The pdf below is a pretty good body of work found at: http://www.mscare.org/?page=dmt which may be of interest to MSers and caregivers.

The Use of Disease-Modifying Therapies in Multiple Sclerosis: Principles and Current Evidence
    A Consensus Paper by the Multiple Sclerosis Coalition, July 2014

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.mscare....sMSC_color.pdf

“The member organizations of the Multiple Sclerosis Coalition* have collaborated to summarize the current evidence about disease modification in multiple sclerosis (MS) and to provide support for broad access to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved MS disease-modifying therapies for people. Endorsed by each of the seven MS Coalition organizations, this document serves as an evidence-based resource and reference tool for the clinical management of MS that may also be utilized in advocacy efforts to improve access to approved disease-modifying therapies for people living with MS.”

Thanks, Myoak! I'm printing it out and will add it to my reading pile.

Comment

I finished reading this technical report this morning, and after my neurologist's appt. this past Thursday, I found it especially illuminating. I asked her, again, if individuals with SPMS need to take DMD's since this seems to be a source of controversy among many, and whether my latest MRI showed any signs of brain atrophy. Her answers were "Yes" to the 1st one and "No" to the 2nd.

For those who haven't read the report, page 21 of report says,
      "Treatment with a given medication should be continued indefinitely...." Also, "Absence of relapses while on treatment should not be considered a justification for discontinuation of treatment."

My neurologist basically feels that there is just not enough long-term data to risk removing the DMD. As she says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have to agree.

Comment

Depressing

This is the most depressing statistic I saw in the article:

"It is currently recognized that approximately 60 percent of people with MS will experience cognitive impairment; 36-54 percent will experience a major depressive disorder; and up to 92 percent will experience significant fatigue, contributing to increased disability and reduction in quality of life."

While I'm glad that research is being conducted, I think it's also important to stay grounded and not "buy into" things that we read, less it become a self-fulfilling prophecy. (I'm writing this to myself, most importantly.)

Comment

You make a good point Roamer which, if I understand correctly, is about dwelling on negative things which then become more likely to appear because they are the focus.

Another approach is to look at those negatives, in particular the stats which you quoted, and be motivated to intervene by asking what can I do to change these stats so I am not one of them?

Doing so shifts focus to the positive… making it more likely to manifest.

The value of information and education is that knowledge can motivate us to take actions which benefit ourselves and our families.

One recent example is an article in ScienceDaily about balance board training promoting brain plasticity in MSers.
          http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0826091039.htm

The comments following the article were also interesting. A doctor with MS talked about hiking and balance; another talked about yoga and balance.

I’ll quote the study's author, Dr. Prosperini… “the most fascinating area for future research may involve the investigation of a possible “far transfer effect” after balance rehabilitation: that is, the possibility that improvement in balance may be coupled with improvement in cognitive abilities.”

Interventions as simple as balance board training, yoga, or hiking for those able, may alter several of the predicted outcomes of MS. Statistics can be helpful in motivating us not to become one; or rather, one on the good side of the ledger.

Best to you Roamer, thanks for making a good point. We all need to be careful of what we dwell on because it does influence our lives.

Comment

Working...
          X